Greg Hughes Dry Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this one three weeks ago tried my first one last night
Poured well for 3 weeks old first taste was lovely but then a burned aftertaste had problems with thermometer and mashed too high about 75/78 degrees that prob is why will definitely do again looks good good head and first taste is lovely just hope mine improves with age

Brew days has gone so smoothly today because of the overnight mash. Last week I did an extended all day mash. Put the mash on in the morning and carried on brewing in the evening. It seemed like much more of a rush last week.

Just waiting for the boil to finish up (ten mins left), then I'll chuck the near boiling wort into the FV for it to no-chill. Today will take, by my estimation, 3 hours from taking of the towels and blankets from the mash to the the end of the clean up.

Nice one, i do the no chill now myself. Well i put the FV in the sink to cool it for an hour then onto the floor to cool overnight.
Would you recommend the Greg Hughes book? I need to get more recipes and not bought any brew books so far.

Greg Hughes is great in that it provides very sound recipes for a wide range of beer types. Bargain £3 on Amazon.

Nice one, i do the no chill now myself. Well i put the FV in the sink to cool it for an hour then onto the floor to cool overnight.
Would you recommend the Greg Hughes book? I need to get more recipes and not bought any brew books so far.

I can't recommend the GH book highly enough! There's loads of receipes, at least one for every catergory that the BJCP judge by, often more than one. It's got some great hops, malts and yeasts charts and the glossy photo's just make you want to get the brew pot out. All this for 3 quid. :thumb:

Do you sparge with overnight mash now?

Yes, I do two dunk sparges again, like I always have. When I tried no sparge I undershot my brewlength by quite a bit (can't remember exactly how much). Pretty sure it's because the wort is so saturated with sugars no more can be washed off. When I tried only one dunk sparge and 2 kettle fulls poured over the the gains I undershot by 2L or 3L.

I have done the AG version of this and bottled it a couple of days ago. I was around a mate's house last night doing a tasting session so thought we could try a really young version of it to see its potential. I was really surprised how good it was even at this stage, creamy, smooth with some head and a lovely deep roasted and chocolate flavours coming through. I didn't tell the guy what it was as he likes to try and guess what the hops and beer style is to give it a rating and he came out with "this tastes just like warm Guinness" which is exactly where I want it to be. Really impressed with this so far. I also have done the GH's American stout so hopefully that one will be as good.

Back