Geterbrewed Craft-A-Beer Giveaway (Dark Malt)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labowner

Reaction score
Thanks to MM for organising the comp and phoning to explain the changes to giveaway.

I got the dark malt and a Newcastle Dark Ale to brew from the destructions ;)
First impressions are good the instructions are straightforward and in this case no additions that aren't covered. Will be brewing mid week I hope as working nightshifts will prevent me doing anything sooner.

Here are a few pics of what I received.
Dark Malt
Newcastle Dark Ale Yeast
Hop Extract
Hop Tea bags

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

Well done on being a winner! Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, I thknk I'll order a similar kit when I've got a spare fv.

Brewed this morning, have to say as a second brew it all went very smoothly.

Decided to use Lidl water as I want the demijohns for some wow type wines and maybe a turbo beer or cider. Hopefully it'll turn out as good as the filtered tap water I used for the last brew.

Bench, kettle, fv, paddle, degasser, drill, extract tins, can opener, thermometer, gloves and bubbler all star sanned and sprayed throughout.
The extract poured and mixed with the water easily and the instruction were a breeze to follow.

Only thing I would do different is to remove the hop extract from the fridge the night before or store it at room temp as I had to use a dribble of hot water to rinse some residue out of the tube which may not have happened if it had been kept at ambient.

_20151021_104306.JPG

_20151021_104221.JPG

_20151021_104042.JPG

_20151021_104013.JPG

I used the wine degasser in a batt drill to oxygenate the wort, left it with a nice 'head' to sprinkle the yeast onto.
OG was 1.042.

Checked on Sat morning it had hit the target of 1.014/1.015 so I made the hop tea and added to the fv. Should be bottling tomorrow.
Had a slight issue with one of the tea bags having been caught in the seal but luckily I have a medium sized tea strainer that I was able to use.

Bottled tonite, racked into another fv with priming solution (115g brewers sugar/boiled water)
Lost a bit to sedament and the other hop tea bag had split whilst in the fv providing a few floaters but I got about 38 bottles so happy enough.
Sneaked a taste and it was good so the next two weeks warm and two cold to condition should go well :)

Know it's not been long enough but I slipped one into the fridge this morning to sample later ;)

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1447184012770.jpg More gas than I was expecting as it really should have another week at minimum warn conditioning.
Have to say I'm happy with it the dry hopping has added a pleasant aftertaste and I can't wait to taste it after another month.
Sorry I'm not good at the old tasting notes but what I can say is this kit is a success for me and I wouldn't have chosen it. I like Newcastle brown occasionally but wouldn't have went out of my way for it but I wish I had chilled a second bottle of this now [emoji2]

Been busy of late, bloody courses in work but have an update on the brew.
I absolutely love it and I gave my neighbour a few bottles to try, he returned the empties and told me that if he was in a bar and ot one he would definitely buy more :)
Long and short is its a great kit and I would happily recommend it :)

Latest posts

Back