Book review : Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't finished reading it yet BUT I can state that the negative reviews on amazon are not justified. This is a good book to read for the AG brewer. There is history lessons and a lot about how grains are made into malt which does give you a good insight into it all. It's not heavy going and so far (about 75% of the way through) no maths (see what I did there ?).

Stand out comment - malt does the heavy lifting. (hops are the finesse).

Stand out concept - when designing a recipe taste the malt.

Now this I had to try. So I got a teaspoon of three random malts (maris otter plus two others) and me and missus dipped our fingers in a tasted them. And you could taste the contributions they would make - obviously not the final beer taste but what they brought to the party. Neutralness of Maris Otter, the bitter sweet of the crystal and the biscuit from the third. I then mixed them up and you could taste how they blended. An eye opener for me.

I'll update when I finish it.

Another way to taste check malts, and hops, is to make a tea with them. I have done this several times with hops, and malt a couple of times. Steep some grains in hot water and strain. If you add a hop tea to a brew, taste a bit of the cooled tea. Here's an article about making teas with malts.

http://homebrewmanual.com/home-brewing-malt-profiles/

I've read 'Hops' and 'Yeast', both of which I enjoyed, and was avoiding 'Water' as I'm not a natural scientist. I'll put 'Malt' on my reading list (if I can find a free version somewhere in the dark corners of the internet).

Cheers

OK, I've finished it now. Really good book.

It's about malt, not about brewing. It covers the entire subject from growing, developing, storing, malting, transporting AND brewing with it.

There's a good bit about how barley normally likes to be dormant before it germinates but this means you can't harvest and then start the malting process immediately. So they developed barley that doesn't need the dormant phase but then if you have a warm rainy spell at the end of the growing season there is a danger it germinates whilst still on the plant.

And yes, it even talks about how you do your own malting.

So maybe we don't really care what size container grain arrives in at the malting house but it is sort of interesting.

It's not about creating recipes, it's about understanding malt.

I suppose its a bit like the difference between watching ET and reading a biography of Steven Spielberg.

It's not perfect, there is an overuse of the word 'piece', a business word for 'area' or 'subject' and a reference to figure 1 which wasn't there. Then again I've found mistakes in most books I've read. (picky)

I've now read yeast, hops, water and malt and it's interesting how they all say that their ingredient is the most important :smile:

So, I think the amazon reviews are really off and it is well worth a read.

Latest posts

Back