Turbo cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why bother using finings? - traditional cider, ie. squished from actual apples, is meant to be cloudy. It doesn't affect the taste.

I fancy having a go at this, as my missus doesn't do ale and my 16 y-o son has started asking if he could 'try' cider....
Any instructions would be appreciated.

I opened a bottle last night that I bottled 7 days ago and it's clear as day 😃

You can add an alkali - I forget which it is exactly - which neutralises the acid.
A few years ago when I made my first real cider from squished windfalls it was so acid it was almost undrinkable. In the end I kind of got used to it but I drank quite a lot of it by adding a couple of spoonfulls of sugar to the glass plus one of sodium bicarbonate. :lol: Not recommending sodium bicarb though as it leaves a metallic taste.
If you ever go to a `real cider' festival you'll find yourself buying glasses of what can only be described as battery acid.

Yeah have made some from apples that is what started this obsession. Was just hoping to get a nice session drink with a bit less sharpness from turbo cider.
Thanks agan

2 tsp of canderel or similar granulated sweetener per 500ml works perfect for my taste, just experiment until you find what yours is. I can't drink straight tc, its too harsh.

Just bought 2. Thanks for that must be worth a try. I love the true Apple taste but to lose sharpness would be great.

I generally add the entire sachet to A 20 litre brew, that returns a very medium cider, by no means dry,I did use a sachet on 15 litres recently, that was a little to sweet for me, good luck.

My friend got a load of Innocence apple juice on the cheap a while back. Shoved it in a demi with a little yeast and sugar.... job done!
It was really nice and didn't take long at all :-)

My recipe, as follows:

• 10litres of Apple Juice (59p/litre from Quality Save, 100% stuff).
  • 250g raisins
  • 125g sugar (not really necessary but still)
  • 1tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1tsp pectolase (I don't think this is necessary given I'm making it from juice but better safe than sorry)
  • 2tsp glycerin
  • 1 large mug of very strong very stewed tea.
  • Gervin GV4 yeast.

SG 1053. FG 1002. ABV 6.69%.

Thank you so much for sharing! One question. I've got a spare 33L FV, so I'm thinking about doing a 25L batch. Do I simply multiply everything by 2.5?

Thank you so much for sharing! One question. I've got a spare 33L FV, so I'm thinking about doing a 25L batch. Do I simply multiply everything by 2.5?

Simple answer . . . .yes. All but the yeast, just one sachet needed whatever size batch. I might not do 2.5 times the raisins as whilst they do add to the body and flavour I think I will reduce the amount I use next time to just 125g.

Good luck!!

Simple answer . . . .yes. All but the yeast, just one sachet needed whatever size batch. I might not do 2.5 times the raisins as whilst they do add to the body and flavour I think I will reduce the amount I use next time to just 125g.

Good luck!!

Noted. One more question. Given that different juices can have different sugar content, what should be the ratio of sugar content of the mixture at the time of adding yeast? :)

It's a good question. I'm afraid my own recipe was more guess work than mathematics when it came to sugar so I'm hoping one of the other more experienced forum members will be able to pitch in here. I did note that the apple juice I used was 11g sugar per 100ml.

Back