Interesting resource for the scientifically minded

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just noticed that the Journal of the Institute of Brewing is freely available from 2014 back to 1890. The content varies from the historically interesting to the scientifically mind boggling (unless you are a biochemist) but I'm sure there is some interesting stuff in there.

You can find the journal here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2050-0416/.

If you go back to the 1960s they start to make a bit more sense. I think I might concentrate on articles published around that time as I understand that was when a lot of the advances were made in brewing science. This one from 1961 looks at mash efficiency at different mash temps and with varying mash thickness http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1961.tb01772.x/epdf.

I just noticed that the Journal of the Institute of Brewing is freely available from 2014 back to 1890. The content varies from the historically interesting to the scientifically mind boggling (unless you are a biochemist) but I'm sure there is some interesting stuff in there.

You can find the journal here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2050-0416/.

Just followed this link & "Boooooooooooooom" that's my head exploding.

Just followed this link & "Boooooooooooooom" that's my head exploding.

Enjoy!

I hope this isn't a time limited thing. I'm going to have a good browse and download anything interesting incase they restrict access again.

my favourite is "Single nucleotide polymorphisms and transcription analysis of genes involved in ferulic acid decarboxylation among different beer yeasts" :wink:

Come on, you can't be serious!

Surely this is entirely ridiculous on a homebrew site!

I mean, I can't believe that we don't already check our ferulic acid decarboxylation with every brew. You know it makes sense! :lol:

Seriously, though, thanks very much Simon.
I'll bet there's plenty there that will interest me, and especially that will inform me. Not sure how much will make it through to the beers I brew though! All part of the pleasure of brewing! :)

If you're looking for info on a particular subject add "review" to the search terms. Review articles in journals are a good way of getting an overview of something and are usually written in a way that assumes a lot less prior knowledge.

Failing that in most cases the abstract of an article should summarise it well enough for a casual reader so there's probably not much to gain by reading the whole thing. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence but I know from experience that this stuff is hard going if you're not used to it and in practice even scientists skip large portions of these articles the majority of the time.

Time travel in a thread. Excellent link, I love the stuff from the turn of the last century. You can also see the evolution of words like they use &c. for etc. (although they use a bigger ampersand and it has the curly up kick thing with a line across it so it look like a T). They also use per cent. instead of percent.

There's a good article on how they used yeast that was kept in a sugar solution for 44 years and it was OK.

They were clever people in that they knew what they didn't know, i.e. they knew there were intermediary chemical steps in the fermentation process but didnt have the technology to determine what they were.

It's a big read though, see you in 1890.

Just read the minutes of a meeting held in Leeds in 1894.

Very interesting talk about mashing temperatures and how the mash is effectively over after 20 minutes.

Anyway, there was a question from the floor from a certain Cuthbert Vaux who set up Vaux breweries where I used to work when it was still in operation.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1895.tb00054.x/epdf

Back