Sugar in cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam

Regular.
Reaction score
Why is it you don't add any sugar at the start of a turbo cider like you do when making wine etc ?

Why is it you don't add any sugar at the start of a turbo cider like you do when making wine etc ?

The sugar in wine is usually there to increase the ABV of the wine; sometimes to higher than 13%.

Imagine quaffing pints of cider at that level of alcohol. :whistle:

Usually, there is an adequate amount of sugar in the apple juice to get an ABV of up to 6%; but I prefer it much lower! :thumb:

The sugar in wine is usually there to increase the ABV of the wine; sometimes to higher than 13%.

Imagine quaffing pints of cider at that level of alcohol. :whistle:

Usually, there is an adequate amount of sugar in the apple juice to get an ABV of up to 6%; but I prefer it much lower! :thumb:

Thanks for that . By the way your wilko pilsner with chillies sounds nice. I wonder what that will come out like 😁😁😁

i tend to add sugar to my TC i will be honest hehe, was wondering what it would be like with honey in it tho

500g of sugar is meant to up the ABV of a 5 gallon brew by 1% (or so it says in the Greg Hughes book)
So that's 100g for a gallon.
Last time I made Turbo cider using Tescos value apple juice, just juice and a cup of tea for tannin, it was 6% anyway which is plenty strong enough for me.

I used the lidl apple juice and lowics raspberry syrup and I got 8.4% . No water og was 1074 finished at 1010. That had no added sugar. Nice if you only wanted 1 or 2 of an evening.

I used the lidl apple juice and lowics raspberry syrup and I got 8.4% . No water og was 1074 finished at 1010. That had no added sugar. Nice if you only wanted 1 or 2 of an evening.

3 ltrs of apple and how much syrup was in with that for a gallon brew?

How much sugar do you add?

there hasnt been too much of a science to it as i only had demijohns a short while and will be following a recipe next time

but there was a method to my madness, i would add abit of sugar everytime the bubbler seemed to stop/slow down too much

500g of sugar is meant to up the ABV of a 5 gallon brew by 1% (or so it says in the Greg Hughes book)
So that's 100g for a gallon.
Last time I made Turbo cider using Tescos value apple juice, just juice and a cup of tea for tannin, it was 6% anyway which is plenty strong enough for me.

was that with tesco value apple juice x4.5L and a mug of strong tea or any water aswell ?

3 ltrs of apple and how much syrup was in with that for a gallon brew?
The raspberry syrup comes in I think 440ml bottles and topped up rest with apple juice. So about 4 litres apple juice.

The raspberry syrup comes in I think 440ml bottles and topped up rest with apple juice. So about 4 litres apple juice.

No water at all then . Sounds a nice one think I'll give it a go 😂😂😂

No water at all then . Sounds a nice one think I'll give it a go 😂😂😂
None. It was really nice. I primed each bottle with a teaspoon of sugar. It took a while for the bottles to get hard.
313051580373fd154a4afd4eec2a7874.jpg

As soon as I had a 23l bin available I made up a big batch 21l of apple juice and 4 bottle of raspberry syrup. I tried MJ cider yeast this time. 🖒

None. It was really nice. I primed each bottle with a teaspoon of sugar. It took a while for the bottles to get hard.

As soon as I had a 23l bin available I made up a big batch 21l of apple juice and 4 bottle of raspberry syrup. I tried MJ cider yeast this time. 🖒

Looks lovely does it taste good. ? How long have you left it in bottles before trying?

As soon as I had a 23l bin available I made up a big batch 21l of apple juice and 4 bottle of raspberry syrup. I tried MJ cider yeast this time. ��'

omnomnomomom

Looks lovely does it taste good. ? How long have you left it in bottles before trying?
As soon as the bottles were hard about 2 weeks I put one in the fridge to try. The other 8 didn't last 2 weeks.

As soon as the bottles were hard I put one in the fridge to try. The other 8 didn't last 2 weeks.

I've got a gallon of tc on go now but I'm defo going to try with the syrup 😂😂

What is the best cider yeast to get then?

What is the best cider yeast to get then?
I don't know. I used wilko wine yeast on everything to start with and it was great. This time I've used mangrove jack m02 cider yeast just to see if it makes a difference.

I don't know. I used wilko wine yeast on everything to start with and it was great. This time I've used mangrove jack m02 cider yeast just to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks . Where is the best place for the syrup

Latest posts

Back