Sugar in cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never batch primed because I've never been really sure how to do it. And worried it won't turn out ok .

I use the "Bottling, Priming and Kegging" section of the "Calculators" at the top of this page to work out the amount to use.

I then dissolve the required amount in a saucepan with a small amount of boiling water, cover the pan with tin-foil while the syrup cools down and then stir it in after syphoning the brew off into the bottling bucket or the keg.

It really is much easier than carbonating the individual bottles. :thumb:

I agree with Dutto that bulk priming is the way to go. I've never taken a look at the priming calculators.
From my experience if you want fizzy, don't be afraid to put 9 grams sugar per litre.
Take a look at some of Roddy's posts. I'm sure he puts loads of sugars in to prime his.

I've never had a TC take three weeks to ferment though. My first one took about a week, and I thought it was no good because it didn't look like it
was fermenting at all. The others I've made have been in the FV for a while since I'd taken a while to get around to bottling them.

I agree with Dutto that bulk priming is the way to go. I've never taken a look at the priming calculators.
From my experience if you want fizzy, don't be afraid to put 9 grams sugar per litre.
Take a look at some of Roddy's posts. I'm sure he puts loads of sugars in to prime his.

I've never had a TC take three weeks to ferment though. My first one took about a week, and I thought it was no good because it didn't look like it
was fermenting at all. The others I've made have been in the FV for a while since I'd taken a while to get around to bottling them.

Yeah my turbo cider has stopped fermenting after 6 days 😂 so I think I'll rack it off and bottle it

Yeah my turbo cider has stopped fermenting after 6 days 😂 so I think I'll rack it off and bottle it

It wouldn't hurt to leave it in the FV a while longer.
I think 6 days is a bit soon to think about bottling.
People seem to leave it a while longer for the yeast to "clean up".

Have you checked it with a hydrometer? Mine have gone down to 996.

It wouldn't hurt to leave it in the FV a while longer.
I think 6 days is a bit soon to think about bottling.
People seem to leave it a while longer for the yeast to "clean up".

Have you checked it with a hydrometer? Mine have gone down to 996.

No I'm going to check reading tonight now. What's the best cider yeast to use please ?

I'm bottling mine today it's been in the fv for 3 weeks. The og was 1074 and it's now 1006. I don't think you need to leave it this long, I just think it has a cleaner taste if you do.

The raspberry syrup comes in I think 440ml bottles and topped up rest with apple juice. So about 4 litres apple juice.

You say you used 4ltrs of apple to one syrup did you put all that in dj at the start or did you leave bit of room for fermentation?

I put it all at the start but it did erupt a bit so would be a good idea not to add it all at the start.

I put it all at the start but it did erupt a bit so would be a good idea not to add it all at the start.

Could just leave 1 ltr out and top up later when primary fermentation is finished. By doing that could it start fermenting again thou because your adding more juice which has sugar in it?

Or just wait until after the initial foam has subsided then top up.

Not tried strawberry but was thinking of trying strawberry and lime cordial.

Yeh. I would boil the lime to remove preservatives but not sure when to add it and how much?

Has the syrup lot preservatives in it i haven't looked?
If it's the lowics strawberry syrup then you don't need to boil it. Not sure about anything else. Not seen a lime lowics so was going to use something else.

If it's the lowics strawberry syrup then you don't need to boil it. Not sure about anything else. Not seen a lime lowics so was going to use something else.

Why don't you need to rack the cider onto Camden tablet like you do when making wine?

I don't know but it might be the difference between a still drink and a carbonated drink?

Latest posts

Back