Base recipe for 'Easy Rose' Supermarket Juice Wine WOW - 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine usually clear in 24-48 hours. Kwikclear seems to do a remarkable job. I bottled into 1 and 2 ltr soft drink bottles. It's amazing what leaving them for a few weeks does to the taste.

Mine usually clear in 24-48 hours. Kwikclear seems to do a remarkable job. I bottled into 1 and 2 ltr soft drink bottles. It's amazing what leaving them for a few weeks does to the taste.

Fingers crossed then. Hopefully the apple has sweetened it a bit too. I am ok with big strong dry reds but we both prefer white and rose to be on the sweet side. In fact I am not a white drinker really and would end up with a bottle of black tower by choice! Maybe need to add sweetener later.

I usually top up with half a litre of apple juice per DJ then water if needed just after i have stirred in KwiK clear part B.

24 hours after adding Kwik clear. :thumb:

IMG_3015.jpg

24 hours after adding Kwik clear.

I have to buy KwiK Clear online as i cannot get it in my area and as i rate it the number one fining i take the hit on postage, i can get Richies Clear It which is also a two part fining and i have used it in the past, it is as good as KwiK Clear but the down side is it has a short shelf life once opened (unlike KwiK Clear) so if you don't make a lot of wine it can be wasteful, a member (i think it was Tonyhibbet) said ignore the Clear It instructions and carry on using past the date and it wont do you any harm, i have never tested the theory.

Kwik-Clear-Wine-Beer-Finings-Treats-Up.jpg
Finings-Clear-It-Wine-Beer-Treats.jpg

I kicked off two DJ's on the back of this thread. Straight Rose recipe ticking along nicely - down to a blip every minute and at .003 so another week to go me thinks.

I did an experimental in the other DJ but with pineapple and kiwi juice as well as Apple.

Man - that was volatile,
Lava lamp to the extreme and had to change the airlock due to mild leakage. Bubbling at every 30 seconds still and swamp on the top still. Will the swamp fall to the bottom do you think ?

Great post by the way Chippy , thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did you start the Rose -ak? Mine was done on 19th. Took 10 days going well then slowed to one every 3 minutes. Not really a gradual slowing at all. SG down to 0.986 ( confused it with another on previous page ) from start of 1.080. Originally thought it had stalled as it stopped so quick. Will probs bottle tomorrow.

When did you start the Rose -ak? Mine was done on 19th. Took 10 days going well then slowed to one every 3 minutes. Not really a gradual slowing at all. SG down to 0.986 ( confused it with another on previous page ) from start of 1.080. Originally thought it had stalled as it stopped so quick. Will probs bottle tomorrow.

Rose was about just over two weeks ago. Thought it had slowed down on Friday but seems to have picked up over the weekend again. Had a quick taste when did last reading and was still a little sweet for me.

May do another reading later to see where it's at. What yeast did you use ? Mine is a Wilkos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Young's Wine and beer Yeast and it wouldn't get my Wows to lower than 1.000. Have since bought the Youngs super yeast compound and have a wow on using that since yesterday.

. Will the swamp fall to the bottom do you think ?

Great post by the way Chippy , thanks!

Thanks.

Some juices do this and you will probably find it stays at the top, when you rack you will pick a little up but it doesn't matter as it breaks up when you degas the wine and it falls out when you add the fining.

I usually stop mine at a bubble every couple of minutes, when i used to use my hydrometer anything below .995 i considered finished, i find at .990 its too dry.

I usually stop mine at a bubble every couple of minutes, when i used to use my hydrometer anything below .995 i considered finished, i find at .990 its too dry.

Part of the point I was making there was it went from every few seconds to every three minutes without anything in between ( unless It was overnight! ). I did not think it too dry but missus said it was a bit bitter. See what difference the top up with aj has made hopefully later today.

Ok so I have bottled my first WOW rose. I like it. Time will tell how Mrs Tinto rates it! Final SG after adding the aj and a tad water was 0.990

One issue. No matter how careful I was I could not avoid stirring things up a bit just on the last bottle. No great issue as it will lay out in the bottle but the other 5 are crystal. I think in future I will rack once more after fining, top with juice / water then bottle. Lesson learnt! First of many no doubt. ;))

These two relatively inexpensive bits of kit transformed bottling days for me -

The Little Bottler - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58393

Bucket Clip/Syphon Clamp - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58710

Yes, saw that in another thread. The syphoning itself is ok. I did get the same clip but although this holds it against the side it does not hold the tube tight enough to stop it sliding up and down. Slightest touch on the base produces a fine cloud. A peg in conjunction with the clip may be the answer.

leave the sediment to settle then pour carefully into another bottle, next time if you leave the wine in the dj for a week after finishing fermentation the sediment will pack down and not stir up so easily.

Being so impressed with my first effort I thought I would buy the company..................... or

Make another -
Followed same recipe but changed the red grape to Purple Welche's

I know experience is the key to learning here but a couple of issues -

I tried / followed Chippy's method of dissolving the sugar in the water and juice with a powered wand. Fine except that due to the colour I could not see whether all the sugar had dissolved. Maybe I over did it therefore but it generated one hell of a head. Is this normal. I suppose a white would have been easier to see what was happening. What happens if all the sugar is not dissolved? Does it just sediment out? Gut instinct is to use the saucepan method next time.

Anyhow, the bung went in at 15.00 and 45 mins later I have my first 'blip'. At ' yeast' it is alive! SG was higher than last time at 1.104. With hindsight that may be the extra sugar in the Welche's. The final % will reduce anyway with topping up.

Purple Rose WoW.jpg

Even in dark juice you can still see undissolved sugar at the base of the DJ, looking at the picture i would say you have nothing to worry about and even if there were some left the yeast will find it so no need for heat and saucepans. :thumb:

Back