Base recipe for 'Easy Rose' Supermarket Juice Wine WOW - 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Chippy. I saw you top up with Apple when using Apple in the original recipe.but I assume if you use something else,say orange and mango ...I assume you use the same juice to top up with ..and not Apple in everything?

I do top up with apple juice in all my wine but there is a reason why - i have become a bit lazy over the years, i used to be like Roddy and would throw anything into a DJ with a litre of grape juice and see how it turned out, when White Grape Juice became scarce i moved to Red Grape Juice and found we liked the "Easy Rose" type wine so i just make that and a WinBuddy White Wine kit from Tesco most of the time.

Not wishing to clog an ongoing thread with 'obvious' comments but......... it has to be said..........

Having only bottled this a few days back, it tasted more than ok to me then ( as a primarily red drinker ) and 'er indoors gave it the thumbs up too after initial reactions to the taste on first racking........... just sampled a glass and it is really mellow, crisp and above all smooth ( as in not clawing my throat ). Sod it, these things are difficult to describe. If it is not red, we like something on the sweeter side and this has that. VERY pleasant. The top up with AJ I believe is paramount.

Just to note I used the degasser to dissolve my sugar based on Chippy's method. Worked well. Finally on track to make an actual Chippy Rose with no mistakes this time.

Not wishing to clog an ongoing thread with 'obvious' comments but......... it has to be said..........

Having only bottled this a few days back, it tasted more than ok to me then ( as a primarily red drinker ) and 'er indoors gave it the thumbs up too after initial reactions to the taste on first racking........... just sampled a glass and it is really mellow, crisp and above all smooth ( as in not clawing my throat ). Sod it, these things are difficult to describe. If it is not red, we like something on the sweeter side and this has that. VERY pleasant. The top up with AJ I believe is paramount.

Thanks for the update. :thumb:

So with the country blackberry and parsnip 'on the go' , and my first venture into the WoW recipes being an utter success ( and the Kenridge Cheaty but hopefully great red in the background) is this the place also to comment on the 'Richard Red' (wow) mentioned before or does that require a 'WoW - red attempt ' thread?

Here's a Ginger & Chilli Wine, not strictly a WOW as it's fresh grated ginger & lemons but have used a litre of Welch's WGJ with pear/apple and will use Apple/water to top up. :thumb:

IMG_1129.jpg

14469672_10154553783349557_125276076886923822_n.jpg

Getting my Chippy Rosé on tomorrow also! [emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The danger with this Rose, as a newbie, is finding out what it tastes like after being in the bottle for a few weeks.

I have been making it for years and i still don't know the answer to that one. :lol:

Being so impressed with my first effort I thought I would buy the company..................... or

Make another -
Followed same recipe but changed the red grape to Purple Welche's

I know experience is the key to learning here but a couple of issues -

I tried / followed Chippy's method of dissolving the sugar in the water and juice with a powered wand. Fine except that due to the colour I could not see whether all the sugar had dissolved. Maybe I over did it therefore but it generated one hell of a head. Is this normal. I suppose a white would have been easier to see what was happening. What happens if all the sugar is not dissolved? Does it just sediment out? Gut instinct is to use the saucepan method next time.

Anyhow, the bung went in at 15.00 and 45 mins later I have my first 'blip'. At ' yeast' it is alive! SG was higher than last time at 1.104. With hindsight that may be the extra sugar in the Welche's. The final % will reduce anyway with topping up.

A little surprised by this but no doubt somebody can / will explain.

As can be seen by the original pic (posted 4.10.16) this was quite lively to start with. The 'head' then subsided to nothing. Flat as a pancake but there was loads of bubbles rising and it was blipping every couple of seconds. My surprise this morning was although still going well every three seconds it now has this foam reappeared on the surface. From being foamy, to completely flat (yet clearly active) to going frothy like this again ? What is causing this please?

Edit - strange - since posting all signs of any froth on the top completely disappeared over 20 mins. 5 mins later I look and it is all back again as quick as it disappeared. Think I may stand this in a bucket in case it decides to erupt! Shouldn't do 7 days in should it?

IMG_3035.jpg

I awoke this morning to a Rosé WOW eruption[emoji15],the froff was staggering. I only filled just below the shoulder of DJ. Don't understand it. [emoji848]

I awoke this morning to a Rosé WOW eruption[emoji15],the froff was staggering. I only filled just below the shoulder of DJ. Don't understand it. [emoji848]

Mine don't ferment vigorously, what temperature is the room they are in?

I only started the Rosé yesterday, SG 1.106, room temp is around 70c, I've since had another full airlock of foam when I got back from work earlier. My other WOWs are fine. Mrs Rock put the heating on last night, but the temps was only 75c at this point.

Back