"Forge A Rye" - A clone of Howling Hops - Rye Wit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machin05

Reaction score
Hey all,

Embarking on my first brew day soon with my brewer mate. He's got an awesome three vessel setup and has been making quality beers for years, so I'm really excited to get cracking!

We're making a clone of one of my favourite hoppy pales - Howling Hops Rye Wit. I contacted them on twitter for the recipe and they were kind enough to oblige with the following info.

80% Marris Otter, 10% Rye, 10% Wheat
3.5g/l Mosaic hop burst
3g/l Mosaic dry hop and 1.5g/l Columbus
T58 Wit Yeast

We're probably going to go with a WLP001 Cali yeast as my brewer mate refuses to use dry yeast and is concerned that WLP400 may be too strong a Belgian yeast for the style we're going for.

We're brewing up 45 litres to go into his "small batch" fermenter and if it works out we'll upscale to his 75L FV.

So, it looks like we need to use about 160 grams of Mosaic in the boil in a hopburst. My understanding is that there are no 60 minute additions and all the bitterness comes from the huge amounts of late additions. How does this schedule look?

Mosaic 20 grams at 30 mins
Mosaic 20 grams at 15 mins
Mosaic 20 grams at 10 mins
Mosaic 50 grams at 5 mins
Mosaic 50 grams at 1 min / Flameout

It will then be dry hopped with 140 grams of Mosaic and 70 grams of Columbus.

Anything you guys would change?

Seeing a lot of these hop burst recipes at the moment, and they all seem to have first additions at 20 mins.

Think I'm going to adjust my hop schedule to follow that trend.

Latest posts

Back