Must have equipment.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've manage for just over a year without a brew fridge, instead using a trug and aquarium heater for temperature control. The downside is that I can't control the temperature in the summer, and saw a drop in the quality of my beer because of it, but it works perfectly in winter when you know the ambient temperature won't go above fermentation temp. Will be moving house next year, and brew-fridge space will be an essential requirement.

In terms of absolute essential: A bucket, siphon, sediment cap, bottling wand, cheap capper, thermometer, hydrometer, some bottles and a way to control temperature for kit brewing. For all grain you will also need a boiler and a grain bag. In terms of consumable you need steriliser, bottle caps and ingredients. That is all you need to brew great beer. Don't get me wrong - I love having a chiller, spare fv to rack to with tap and little bottler, star-san, oxi cleaner, trial jar, bench-capper, hop strainer, large stock pot for sparge water etc..., but I only have them because I want them and they make my life easier.

Thanks for the comprehensive list. Very helpful. YouTube videos show the initial grain and hops being boiled inside muslin bags within a large stainless steel pot. As good as a boiler? The Starter Kit I have in mind comes with a barrel rather than bottles. Isn't this an easier way to start?

A Belgian beer fan, I see. Me too looking forward to progressing onto some of those once I get started.

so brewfferm recommended for kits if you like belgian beers.

you can easily do extract belgian beers of around 8% with extract and some steeping grains not forgetting the candi sugar of course!

Just over 17 months since i started, so just over £40 a month to date.

I would double check the grain in the kit (unless you were planning to added it to enhance it).

Pressure barrels are great when they work. I have one that has been great and my 2nd is a PITA. Bottles are more work to fill than pbs and don't leave you worrying about if you have sealed it properly. (There's some good hints and tips like - https://youtu.be/LOq6N59HTjo

Some find minikegs a compromise, 4 kegs per batch, but they're an additional investment and the taps (for "best" results) can be expensive.

The starter kit I linked is pretty much identical but £10 cheaper (pretty sure they sell the wherry kit too so fro an extra 10-15 you could have a 2nd kit ready to go)

I too use a buidlers trug/bucket and aquarium heater to keep my brews at 19-20°c.

Just over 17 months since i started, so just over £40 a month to date.

I would double check the grain in the kit (unless you were planning to added it to enhance it).

Pressure barrels are great when they work. I have one that has been great and my 2nd is a PITA. Bottles are more work to fill than pbs and don't leave you worrying about if you have sealed it properly. (There's some good hints and tips like - https://youtu.be/LOq6N59HTjo

Some find minikegs a compromise, 4 kegs per batch, but they're an additional investment and the taps (for "best" results) can be expensive.

The starter kit I linked is pretty much identical but £10 cheaper (pretty sure they sell the wherry kit too so fro an extra 10-15 you could have a 2nd kit ready to go)

I too use a buidlers trug/bucket and aquarium heater to keep my brews at 19-20°c.

Thanks for your reply. Your linked Kit certainly sounds the same as my own link although there are no illustrative pictures. You seem to have some reservations about the barrel. Personal experiences put you off? As far as I know it contains grain and hops, rather than just a tin of premade wort. I hope so.

I should be able to get an aquarium heater from any pet shop, I guess. What wattage do I need, please? Any online recommendations? There is quite a variety online at prices ranging from about �£7.00 to £40.00.

I am still not sure what the trug is? Seems to be a slightly flexible plastic bucket? What do you use it for? Still navigating a steep learning curve!

Thanks for your reply. Your linked Kit certainly sounds the same as my own link although there are no illustrative pictures. You seem to have some reservations about the barrel. Personal experiences put you off? As far as I know it contains grain and hops, rather than just a tin of premade wort. I hope so.

I should be able to get an aquarium heater from any pet shop, I guess. What wattage do I need, please? Any online recommendations? There is quite a variety online at prices ranging from about £7.00 to £40.00.

I am still not sure what the trug is? Seems to be a slightly flexible plastic bucket? What do you use it for? Still navigating a steep learning curve!

I didn't write this, so cant take any credit, but check this link for a great explanation of the trug/aquarium heater setup.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66407

Thanks for your reply. Still getting to grips with terminology but I think I am with you so far. So the need for an electronic boiler may not be so essential? YouTube videos show the mashing and sparge stage being done in a large stainless steel pot, so perhaps this will be sufficient. Some of the same videos show cooling by immersing the same pot in a cold water bath, even adding ice. But the copper coil seems a much simpler method. With your bleach mix, does that mean a thorough rinse to remove before use?
Well I started with a simple peco boiler without the thernostat control. So it's basically a fermentation bin with a kettle element. Its Def possible to brew with this or a big pot on the hob. This is a bit Labour intensive tho as to keep it at a constant temp I was standing over it flicking the plug on, measuring the temp with thermometer then flicking the power off. Then repeat this for over an hour. The thermostically controlled one however u just set the temp and it does the work just give it the odd stir

The copper coil is so quick and handy. 15 mins and it's cool enough.

With the bleach solution I just fill the fermentation bin and leave it for a while then drain and a good rinse. People might not agree with this method but I've never had any infections and it cheap and simple. Also I scrub my bottles then fill 1 third full with bleach solution give it a good shake leave for 15 mins and rinse and they ready to use

Just start having a stab at the home brewing and a big tip is get a diary and keep note of exactly you do, recipes you brew, notes on how they taste etc. This is a great way to keep track of what works and mistakes you've made. This way you can look back and learn from every brew you do.

I didn't write this, so cant take any credit, but check this link for a great explanation of the trug/aquarium heater setup.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66407

Aha! That lightbulb moment. Sitting the FV inside a warmed bath is so obvious really. I did wonder how and where the fish tank heater would go. now all is clear.

I just need to establish what fish tank heater to buy...and from where. The post you linked me to suggests 50w may be fine, perhaps better to go for a slightly higher wattage to be safe. My brewing station is likely to be a spare bedroom. Any suggestions?

Well I started with a simple peco boiler without the thernostat control. So it's basically a fermentation bin with a kettle element. Its Def possible to brew with this or a big pot on the hob. This is a bit Labour intensive tho as to keep it at a constant temp I was standing over it flicking the plug on, measuring the temp with thermometer then flicking the power off. Then repeat this for over an hour. The thermostically controlled one however u just set the temp and it does the work just give it the odd stir

The copper coil is so quick and handy. 15 mins and it's cool enough.

With the bleach solution I just fill the fermentation bin and leave it for a while then drain and a good rinse. People might not agree with this method but I've never had any infections and it cheap and simple. Also I scrub my bottles then fill 1 third full with bleach solution give it a good shake leave for 15 mins and rinse and they ready to use

Just start having a stab at the home brewing and a big tip is get a diary and keep note of exactly you do, recipes you brew, notes on how they taste etc. This is a great way to keep track of what works and mistakes you've made. This way you can look back and learn from every brew you do.

Thanks for the additional info. Not having started, yet, I don't know what temp range is necessary to create the wort. Hope that is the correct term. Videos I have watched just seem to show a gently simmering pot. Maybe temperatures are more critical.

I had wondered if I could manage without the copper cooling coil to start with but if it takes 15 minutes or so with one, goodness knows how long cooling would take without. Seems a no brainer.

Thanks for the additional info. Not having started, yet, I don't know what temp range is necessary to create the wort. Hope that is the correct term. Videos I have watched just seem to show a gently simmering pot. Maybe temperatures are more critical.

I had wondered if I could manage without the copper cooling coil to start with but if it takes 15 minutes or so with one, goodness knows how long cooling would take without. Seems a no brainer.
I know one or two brewing luddites who just leave the wort to cool overnight without problems but im sure the purists on here will go cold themselves at the thought of doing that:whistle:

Well if doing a step mash which involves 3 different temps of 50, 66 and 71. Or most recipes a single stage mash at 66 is fine.

What you maybe have seen with the gently simmering pot is the stage after you have removed the grains and then boil the wort with the hops.

The microbrewery kits that we have both linked include a premium kit (premade wort for you to ferment by mixing water and sometimes sugar/malt extract before introducing the yeast).

The wherry has very good reviews (but read up on how others have dealt with the yeast sticking at 1.020). It will not have any grains to add (not sure if it includes a dry hop pack).

If you want to do 20-23litre batches you will need a fv and everything else included in the microbrewery box. The barrel can be good, but are very frustrating when they don't seal correctly (there is a sweet spot to tightening the lid).

If you want to do grain brewing have a read of http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

Dad of John brews excellent beers from extract which is a great halfway house (that I choose to skip...mostly for cost).

The microbrewery box was a good purchase for me and learning about sanitising and fermenting your wort by doing a couple of kits is how lots of us started.

I agree with the above comment majority people start brewing from kits, you get a feel for sterilizing and bottling and when you start all grain the equipment can still be used for it.
On the subject of bottling Yeh it's a pain in the neck but once it's done it's much more.convenient to have your beer in bottles. Easier to transport and chill.

Well if doing a step mash which involves 3 different temps of 50, 66 and 71. Or most recipes a single stage mash at 66 is fine.

What you maybe have seen with the gently simmering pot is the stage after you have removed the grains and then boil the wort with the hops.

Ok. So I see how being able to set temperatures would be useful. I had assumed, maybe a picture somewhere, that a bag a grains and hops were part of the kit. Sounds like my Woodfordes kit isn't one of those. Presumably there are kits like this out there? The consensus seems to be that brewing from grain, etc yields a much nicer result. I just don't want to brew something and be disappointed with the result. How similar to a pub pulled pint will my Woodfordes kit be?

Beers brewed from kits are ok but there is usually a distinct "homebrew twang" kinda taste whereas all grain beers are very close to something you would buy. Also despite the initial outlay of buying equipment all grain brewing ingredients are much cheaper.

If i remember correctly the woodfordes wherry kit was one of the better kits I brewed.

Aha! That lightbulb moment. Sitting the RV inside a warmed bath is so obvious really. I did wonder how and where the fish tank heater would go. now all is clear.

I just need to establish what fish tank heater to buy...and from where. The post you linked me to suggests 50w may be fine, perhaps better to go for a slightly higher wattage to be safe. My brewing station is likely to be a spare bedroom. Any suggestions?
Hi Aphid.I think the problem i with the higher wattage ones are, they do get bigger in size and may just fit in the water. i use two 50w. i think you can buy micro sized ones on e bay as well.cheers, dave.

Essential equipment can be quite basic BUT if you get bitten by the bug then you never stop trying new kit. Probably why I have just ordered two more cornies just to try out my recently purchase beer gun ...

Can't say the hop rocket was essential though... a lot of faff for little benefit over using pellet hops.

Aha! That lightbulb moment. Sitting the RV inside a warmed bath is so obvious really. I did wonder how and where the fish tank heater would go. now all is clear.

You must have a small road vehicle or a big bath 😉
You definitely have the brewing bug now mate, its very addictive.

Auto syphon
I kept on thinking I can do without it but I was so wrong

Latest posts

Back