100 grams minimum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone who likes a hoppy taste in their beer,and i mean pale ales as well as ipa dont you think you need a minimum of 100g?
Ive just done it again, made the Greg Hughes Wheat beer with 50g,its a nice beer but im annoyed at myself for not adding more Citra.
Im determined to start upping my hop usage, price will rise but will be well worth it,i may try this Wheat again with maybe 150-200.
Any thoughts?
Cheers

Assuming you're talking about the 23L wort batch I kind of agree, if you want something to give you a real punch and hop forward you need 100 minimum 150 makes a good one.

adding 50 grams of hops does up the price but think of it like this.. would you pay an extra 6p for a nicer pint?

Edit also worth mentioning the choice of yeast can also affect the results you get with hops

For anyone who likes a hoppy taste in their beer,and i mean pale ales as well as ipa dont you think you need a minimum of 100g?
Ive just done it again, made the Greg Hughes Wheat beer with 50g,its a nice beer but im annoyed at myself for not adding more Citra.
Im determined to start upping my hop usage, price will rise but will be well worth it,i may try this Wheat again with maybe 150-200.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
When I first started brewing most hops still came in clear plastic bags as brown dried vegetable matter - so home-brew books stating 100g (well, 4oz actually) in five gallons was normal. Bit of a shock when outlandish green hops became the norm!

100g (more even) is quite normal for new American hops (like Citra) in an American style pale ale. Try 100g with English hops in an English style pale ale and you may be in for a shock too! I think it has something to do with the composition of relevant components within the hops*? "American" styles might also load the hops with a bias to "late" hops in the boil ("late" hops introduce less bittering and retain more aroma/flavour qualities).

Wheat beers are "traditionally" very lightly hopped.

(EDIT: *My guess is the new American hops tend to be "sweet and fruity" in flavour - brewing with some of them can in the early stages lead to thinking you've made grapefruit juice - and I reckon this counters bitterness. Whereas English hops tend towards the "earthy and herbal" flavours which perhaps enhances the bitterness?).

The yeast was Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat.
I added 100g of Falconers Flight to a Coopers Lager and thought it was too much but after around 6 weeks it was beautiful

Any thoughts?
Cheers

This is next on my to brew list, I have all the ingredients, just waiting for my fv to come empty first. I was thinking exactly the same when I looked at the hop amounts he states. Hardly any Citra and no dry hop either, surely an American wheat should be very hoppy so yesterday I was passing my LHBS I popped in and got some Amarillo, and some curacao orange peel just have to figure out how much to use and when. Does anybody have any ideas?

Any thoughts?
Cheers

Im afraid youve tuned into a "Hophead". This totally untreatable and you just have to live with it. I too suffer from this condition.
Im also partial to a wheatbeer. I brew a very good, standard "wheat", keeping the IBU`s low. I made a post sometime ago about brewing a wheatbeer, but highly hopped with Citra.
Im thinking ...banana, clove and a big hit of citrus (100 IBU).
Ive designed a recipe and will be brewing in the next couple of weeks.

This is next on my to brew list, I have all the ingredients, just waiting for my fv to come empty first. I was thinking exactly the same when I looked at the hop amounts he states. Hardly any Citra and no dry hop either, surely an American wheat should be very hoppy so yesterday I was passing my LHBS I popped in and got some Amarillo, and some curacao orange peel just have to figure out how much to use and when. Does anybody have any ideas?
Use fresh orange peel, dried is just a rip off

brew 15 - galaxy hop 3
04/03/2016
MJ's west coast yeast re-hydrated.
2kg dwe
500g clear candi sugar
450g t&L golden syrup
50g mandarina baveria 7.9% aa
15 min boil of all fermentables plus hops in 5.5 liters of water.
50g galaxy and 50g amarillo for fermentation for 5 days then dry hopping with the same amount of hops 5 days before bottling
1.048 adjusted
5.64%
160g brewing sugar to prime.

Yes I know,but telling swmbo that a £30 hop order (is there anything I can take out the freezer honey?) is still good value just for one brew doesn't sound like good odds for me to be honest :-(

LOL 😂. Just don't tell her how much they cost then brew as soon as they arrive, she. Will be non the wiser, I tend to get a few bits from LHBS paid for in cash that I earn on foreigners. so that way you dont get, "what's this £60 from malt Miller on our bank statement, I thought you said homebrew would save us. Money"

Yes I know,but telling swmbo that a �£30 hop order (is there anything I can take out the freezer honey?) is still good value just for one brew doesn't sound like good odds for me to be honest :-(

I can see the fundimentle (sp) mistake that you are making. Due to the fact that all non HB`ers do not understand the fact that your fridge/freezer at home, is not for keeping food in, its for keeping beer, hops, yeast at the exact temperature. As soon as SWMBO realizes this the better.

My Solveinian IPA I made last year I had 250 hops in which I thought was a lot but it tasted great.

That said I am enjoying now (not literally) an American PAle ale / IPA whatever you want that only used 150 and the hop flavours are bursting through on that..

Latest posts

Back