1st All Grain - Simcoe & Amarillo IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisBrews

Reaction score
Hi all

After a few kit brews, I've built myself an all grain set up and I'm ready to brew this weekend. Would love to get some feedback on this recipe. Obviously going for a light coloured American Ipa, but I think low colour MO might be a little too light, tried to increase SRM by increasing the Caramalt. Does the hop schedule look OK? Too much, too little? Too late or too early? All the ingredients are bought, so locked into that. Looking for some tweaks if needed.

Much thanks in advance.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Simcoe & Amarillo IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.87%
IBU (tinseth): 60.76
SRM (morey): 5.06

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 kg - Low Colour Maris Otter (90.2%)
0.6 kg - Cara Malt (9.8%)

HOPS:
12 g - Amarillo, Boil 60 min
12 g - Simcoe, Boil 60 min
10 g - Amarillo, Boil 20 min
10 g - Simcoe, Boil 20 min
10 g - Amarillo, Boil 10 min
10 g - Simcoe, Boil 10 min
10 g - Amarillo, Boil 5 min
10 g - Simcoe, Boil 5 min
20 g - Amarillo, Dry Hop after 5 days
20 g - Simcoe, Dry Hop after 5 days
25 g - Amarillo, Dry Hop after 7 days
25 g - Simcoe, Dry Hop after 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 67 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 15 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 76 C, Amount: 17 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.5 L/kg

YEAST:
Safale US-05
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

Recipe Looks Good.

Not run the numbers through a calculator but nothing leaps out as being out of whack.

Some of us like a flameout hop addition or steep at 80°C after flameout but that is symantics and personal preferences.

Enjoy your brewday, should be a great beer !

Oh, and remember to post some pics up here of your brewday.

7days might be a bit too long for a dry hop Imo. IBU looks quote high but its quite a strong beer by the look if it so will prob balance out. Have you had a look at the GU:BU ratio?

I've a simcoe/amarillo 5% abv approx carbing up in bottles atm and a taste test of one last week came across as quite bitter to me, i did use about 100g of pellets total with only amarillo as a 6 day dry hop, you don't mention if you are using leaf or pellet hops.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I think I will try to dial back the bitterness a little bit (maybe by dropping the 20 minutes additions), and perhaps aim for something in the 40-50 IBU range (closer to 50 perhaps given the ABV?)

With regards to Dry hopping, I'll change the above to adding the hops 3 days before bottling. I'm not sure on the ratios between Simcoe & Amarillo so will refine this after some smelling and tasting. Would a total dry hop of 90g be excessive?

I've been using the online Brewers Friend calculators & and couldn't see any GU:BU numbers.

Oh... using pellets btw.

Thanks again!

Its all a matter of preference, I assume you want something very hoppy, personally I would move all the late hops to 10 & 0 mins and bitter to at least 50 IBUs, dry hopping is where you can't over do it but could get a cloudy beer which in my opinion is a non issue.

In that case, maybe I'll just dump whatever I've got left. Bought 100g each, so a shame to waste the few grams that aren't being used!

You can store any left overs in the freezer to use on a future brew - hops can be expensive and 90g is enough for your dry hop, saving 15g of each or whatever for your next brew makes sense.

BU:GU ratios are 0.7 for an APA and 0.8 for an IPA so lets say 0.75 for an AIPA. If your OG is 64 and your IBU is 60 that's a ratio of 0.9 so theoretically too bitter for the style. To get 0.75 with for that OG you'd need 48 IBU.

Brewed on Saturday and it didn't go well. I built a mash tun out of two fermenting buckets, with an inner bucket acting as a false bottom. The holes I drilled were too small, and got totally clogged. I couldnt get any wort out at all. After about an hour of lautering I had half a litre of wort (looked like chocolate milk) . In the end I had to stir the **** of it to disturb the blockage and ended up with a very muddy wort. Long story short, the wort in the fermenter is extremely cloudy.

I'm hoping the muck will settle in the fermenter, then I'll try and carefully syphon into secondary before dry hopping. I took a sample from the spigot which, after leaving it to settle for half an hour was half trub.

Good news is, the samples I took did eventually settle and the wort on top of the trub is crystal clear and hit my target OG exactly. I pitch two packets of US-05 and its fermenting nicely. I'm going to have beer, but maybe not the great beer I was hoping for.

Lessons have been learned. Can't wait to have another crack at all graining soon.

Btw - it also rained buckets during the boil. Gonna name this brew ****ty Rain River IPA.

I think you'll have a good beer. Muck in the FV isn't a big deal and as you say, racking off is always an option. Time and gravity will be your friends when it comes to making clear beer probably more so than what your starting wort look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed! Here's a few brew day images...

IMG_20170401_171333_01.jpg

IMG_20170401_204855_01.jpg

IMG_20170401_142555_01.jpg

Back