Induction hob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
I have an SS Brewtech 35ltr steel pot for boiling. My cooker isn't powerful enough to get even a simmer.

How strong an induction hob would I need I get a good rolling boil?

Buffalo 3kw hob is more than adequate. I have it on about three quarter power for a good rolling boil.
Nisbets do them £99+vat,

I have an SS BrewTech 55 litre pot and I use the Buffalo 3kW induction hob. They're available for £99.99 ex VAT from Nisbets at present.

I have that exact set up & can confirm aj's point. I got my Buffalo second hand from eBay for £60 so there are bargains to be had. Just check the fan on the base is still attached after postage. I ended up having to take the base off & clicking it back in to place as it kept shutting off with an error code.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

One point to remember is that induction hobs need a soft start (i.e. use with timers where they're powered up in the 'on' position will seriously degrade their lifespan. Also, never switch it off until the fan has stopped running.

One point to remember is that induction hobs need a soft start (i.e. use with timers where they're powered up in the 'on' position will seriously degrade their lifespan. Also, never switch it off until the fan has stopped running.

So have a supply to the hob powered up, then turn on using the dial on the machine? I.e. Avoid turning on at the wall with the hob in the on position?

Just bought myself one for sub £50 and looking forward to giving it a go. Cheaper than two decent elements.

I was thinking of getting a 50L pot (40cm x 40cm) will this have too much overhang for a Buffalo 3kw?

The instructions on the hob say the pot should be between the lines on the hob?

I used a 100 litre pot on a Buffalo - it did overhang, didn't have any problems apart from it being slow to get to the boil with 70l of wort. I now use it with the pot across 2 Buffalo hobs and have had no problems with this either - works really well - can put 6Kw into it to get to boil then turn both down - really controllable, no tricky elements to clean.

I have the 55 litre SS Brewtech pot and it overhangs by quite a bit, but I have no problems with it.

I have a 50 litre brew builder pot on mine, no problem with boiling, plenty of power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of getting a 50L pot (40cm x 40cm) will this have too much overhang for a Buffalo 3kw?

The instructions on the hob say the pot should be between the lines on the hob?
Hey Anneon did you go for the 40cmx40cm? Already have a brew builder 50L pot and really interested in these buffalo induction hobs.

Latest posts

Back