Red Wine Concentrate Substitute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a 6 bottle Beaverdale Cab Sauv last night and added approx 100g of red wine powder to it. I think the Beaverdale kits are excellent as they are but it will be interesting to see if what amounts to a �£1.70 addition, will take it up to the next level.

Keep us all posted. I've not made a Beaverdale kit as yet but from what I read around the web it gets excellent reviews so it'll be interesting to see if this can improve on already good kit.

Has anyone tried the white yet?

Since I've enjoyed the red I though I'd give it a go but I think I've got a bad batch. The reds I've had have been vacuum packed but the white I got was air tight but (no leaks in the pack) but the powder was loose inside. When I've opened it the powder was a brown colour like it had oxidised. I've made some up but suspect the results will not be very good as it looks like weak cocoa.

That said it's fermenting away nicely, I may just add loads of sugar at the end and tell people its a hot chocolate wine...lol

my first batch has fermented out, this is just after adding stabiliser and campden tablets.. pictures next to a cleared Beaverdale Merlot. I am not being Judgey as I have the red grape extract to darken it up.

I did have a sneaky sip and the taste was fine, nice acidity and some body. I will report back once it has cleared and I adjust the colour lol.

wine.JPG

My first three batches of red certainly didn't look like that, it was a nice dark red colour. I've had two packs and didn't get the skin extract with them and the powder itself was a very dark purple.

I've just got my third pack and that came with the extract but I've not opened that as yet, I'll advise when I do If it looks any different from the first two.

maybe they included the skin extract to make up for the lack in colour... I'm not fussed either way. If it tastes nice, had good body I am happy to adjust colour for others. I'll just drink it as it is tbh. My powder certainly was a good dark maroon/purple colour.

The only thing I can think of is when I added the first 5 litres of water to the powder and dextrose I made sure it was really hot (80c approx.) like making coffee.
How hot was the water you added to start?

Loving the updates...I have just ordered the red but it wont be dispatched till after the 11th Sept as they are on holiday.

The only thing I can think of is when I added the first 5 litres of water to the powder and dextrose I made sure it was really hot (80c approx.) like making coffee.
How hot was the water you added to start?

The first 1.7 litres was boiling, straight out of the kettle. then I add hot water from the tap (about 60c) to take it to about 5 or so litres until all the sugar is dissolved. Then top off with cold.

I do have to wonder why they have started sending the grape extract.. and it does say on the grape extract packet "to adjust the colour of drinks"

I messaged the seller through ebay asking about colour and saying LED_ZEP didn't have such a lackluster brew and they replied with this

"Hello,

We are sorry to hear about your experience when using our products.

Our shop is currently on holiday until 11 Sep and the person who might assist you in the area of wine making is currently away too.
Only general enquiries are replied wherever possible.
As you problem is quite specific, we will try to get back to you after 11 Sep.

Many thanks,
Alena"

That's looking loads better.

I know! like I said it tasted nice enough.. few days and it'll be ready for another rack.. might bang in some oak for a week or so.

if it's drinkable it's certainly cheap! gonna do same blind tests against the bewverdake merlot.

I used 550gm and didn't go much over 20l so it should have plenty of body.

not sure if you've seen my port thread but I'm really looking forward to that one.

So it cleared nicely and I have placed into 5l pet bottles for some ageing. I added 1 teaspoon of glycerine per gallon in an attempt to reduce what I translate as acidity in my mouth. It seems to have worked.

Here it is compared to my Beaverdale Merlot. Yes I can add some colour but I am going to see how it gets on for a month or two on its own.

Compared to the Merlot, (I am no wine taster so apologies)
The bouquet isn't as punchy or doesn't have as much depth.
The taste, less depth, body, complexity and less mouthfeel, the tannin is notably absent (easily fixable)

BUT for what it costs 50p a bottle? it is certainly pleasant and drinkable.

I also have a batch with 2.5kg of blackberries and 500gm of raisins on the go that I am taking as high as the yeast will go and fortifying as a port... very hopeful for that also.

Would I buy it again? the Beaverdale kits are so very good it is hard to say.. I will see how I get on with it after a month and report back. For now I would say it would make for some interesting experiments adding to kits or making port etc. but hard to complain for 50p a bottle and I have certainly paid �£4.50 for a lot worse.

If I made it again I would put maybe 650gm to 23l of water, I would add tanning in the form of powder or a 6 bag brew, I would definitely add the glycerine at 1tsp per gallon.

grape powder wine.jpg

Good to get a comparison with a quality kit ( Being a Yorkshire man I've been to tight to pay anything above £28).

It's never going to be high end on it's own but compared to £20 - £30 kits I've not had anything come close to this. I've just bottled my last lot and compared to the bottles that are two months old there's a very noticeable difference. They are a little darker in colour and more mellow, so hopefully you will see some improvement.

So it cleared nicely and I have placed into 5l pet bottles for some ageing. I added 1 teaspoon of glycerine per gallon in an attempt to reduce what I translate as acidity in my mouth. It seems to have worked.

Here it is compared to my Beaverdale Merlot. Yes I can add some colour but I am going to see how it gets on for a month or two on its own.

Compared to the Merlot, (I am no wine taster so apologies)
The bouquet isn't as punchy or doesn't have as much depth.
The taste, less depth, body, complexity and less mouthfeel, the tannin is notably absent (easily fixable)

BUT for what it costs 50p a bottle? it is certainly pleasant and drinkable.

I also have a batch with 2.5kg of blackberries and 500gm of raisins on the go that I am taking as high as the yeast will go and fortifying as a port... very hopeful for that also.

Would I buy it again? the Beaverdale kits are so very good it is hard to say.. I will see how I get on with it after a month and report back. For now I would say it would make for some interesting experiments adding to kits or making port etc. but hard to complain for 50p a bottle and I have certainly paid ��£4.50 for a lot worse.

If I made it again I would put maybe 650gm to 23l of water, I would add tanning in the form of powder or a 6 bag brew, I would definitely add the glycerine at 1tsp per gallon.

Did you add the grape skin stuff to this?

This stuff does look interesting, my concern is shelf life once opened as I only use 1 gallon batches, so for a darker red 6 gallons from this 1kg pack.

My red grape powder arrived today so will be starting soon.
Plan on adding oak chippings and 50gm dried elderberries as well as using Lalvin RC212 Burgundy Yeast.
I also plan on adding some boiling water to some black peppercorns and steeping overnight to try to replicate the peppery taste in shiraz.
I would appreciate your thoughts and any updates on the taste of the ones you have used.
Thanks

If you like a full bodied red I would go 30-50% higher on the recommendations of grape powder to water. That's what I will be doing with my remaining powder.

My red grape powder arrived today so will be starting soon.
Plan on adding oak chippings and 50gm dried elderberries as well as using Lalvin RC212 Burgundy Yeast.
I also plan on adding some boiling water to some black peppercorns and steeping overnight to try to replicate the peppery taste in shiraz.
I would appreciate your thoughts and any updates on the taste of the ones you have used.
Thanks

I love a nice shiraz myself so I think the addition of pepper and elderberries should work well. The batch I made with the added frozen mixed berries was nice but the strawberry came through a little too much for my taste in a red. Not that I don't like strawberry, I made a rosé with the same berries and that was so nice I've put another 23l on straight away and it was the strawberry note that really made it.

Rosé WOW
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73188

Latest posts

Back