2017 Apple Harvest Cider Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha I'd seen that Selections scratter. Funnily enough it looks like they are based just around the corner from where I live. They are internet only so no showroom. I think I'll keep struggling with my garden shredder for a few seasons yet.

I am sure you will let us know next year how the shredder performs in year 2 - as I wonder what the acid in the apples will have done to the blades and internals. Had I owned one, I would certainly have tried that first - but I didn't so I thought I'd go for broke and get a decent dedicated scratter. I'm wishing I started with a decent stainless steel press too - the one I have is fine but I worry about the acid eating the paint of the spindle and infecting the juice. I still might do that upgrade this year.

a tasting update.

in recent weeks the weakest batch has been slightly less enjoyable - either we are getting used to it or the fact we are using plastic bottles means it is starting to oxidise. But no big deal - it is mostly drunk now and I'd still give it 7.5/10 - it's just that it was 9/10 before.....

the stronger batches with pectolase seems less affected by this issue

lessons for 2018
- stay at 6% and above
- drink the cider from plastic bottles first (I have been saving glass bottles all year)
- always use pectolase

The apples are now just starting to form on the trees..... roll on autumn........

hard to say - but when it was young (say 2 months after bottling) it tasted *really* appley - imagine an apple flavoured champagne......

now it just tastes more like bog standard cider......

but still very drinkable of a summer evening.....as I demonstrated last night.......

Another update. The 7% batch is still absolutley wonderful. Conclusions
- always use pectolase
- dont dilute less than 6%
- chapagne yeast is probably a bit better. A will buy some more for next year, rather than risk using it 2 years old.

Latest posts

Back