Youngs American India Pale Ale - not fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

Put his kit on 'Youngs Premium Ale Kit - American India Pale Ale IPA' on Thursday after work , so a good few hours over 48hrs, and nothing. No froth, zero bubbles through the airlock - liquid is still level. Its a carboy I always use, so confident the seal is good (If I try and lift the carboy, the airlock goes crackers with the pressure)

Temp in the room is 21 degrees/

Any ideas? Never had this happen before with many many wine and beers

After 48 hours I would have expected some activity from the yeast, however slow.
So likely the yeast is shot. Is the kit still within date? If so you might have some come back on the retailer.
So on a practical level I would leave it until tomorrow evening and if it's still not started order some Crossmyloof US Pale Ale yeast, or on Monday get your retailer to send you some more yeast but don't accept any old rubbish.
Unless you have another of these kits in which case pinch the yeast. :thumb:

You know what, I’ve got the exact same problem with mine, been on the go for 3 days and no activity, at a constant 22C and no activity what so ever. Shall I just add a sachet of Wilco ale yeast?

I wouldn't use normal ale yeast, would think it'd come out too malty. Can't (usually) go far wrong with CML US Pale Ale yeast though I've found.

If you read enough of the review thread, a few folks in there had slow starters (up to 5 days) and the beer was spoiled (stressed yeast maybe?).

I have been lucky with mine, started bubbling 2 hours after pitching... I tend to keep a stock of dry yeasts in the fridge now though, just in case and for future brews. Saves panics.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps.

The problem I've got is it's now Sunday, and wilkos really is my only option. If I leave it to tomorrow I'm into day 5 and fear it will be ruined.

I'm not impressed.

I'll get onto youngs, the sell by date is over a year away. Is it worth chucking a wilko yeast in, buy better yeast tomorrow, or neither?

Thanks chaps.

The problem I've got is it's now Sunday, and wilkos really is my only option. If I leave it to tomorrow I'm into day 5 and fear it will be ruined.

I'm not impressed.

I'll get onto youngs, the sell by date is over a year away. Is it worth chucking a wilko yeast in, buy better yeast tomorrow, or neither?
Your options are
- Wilko yeast, quickest but may not suit the style
- wait until you get either a Youngs or CML replacement, best yeast to use, but your wort will have been left to its own devices for nearly a week which is not ideal (although in the meantime the original yeast may get going).
Your choice. If you go for second option keep the lid on.

I used the Wiko for ages, it's ultra reliable and it always attenuated out to 80%+ for me. And, it re-pitches from the trub a real treat.

So the Wilco yeast has done the trick and it’s bubbling away nicely. What will happen now with the old yeast? Will it just sink to the bottom or will it spoil the brew?

I think it will just sink.

I bought some wilko yeast but when I opened the carboy there was a huge layer of foam and gravity has droppwd from 1058 to 1024 so I didn't need to add it.

My lid must be leaking air so we are all good

i'm dry hopping tomorrow, should I just lash it in or tie it inside a muslin bag to make racking easier\? (and if so I guess I need to weigh the bag down)

How messy is it, do the dry hops dissolve or will they clog the syphon?

Cheers,
Al

You can do either...make sure you sterilise EVERYTHING!
Boil a couple of steel spoons to sink a bag if you use one..I did this.
Your kit comes with a syphon sock to go over the end of your syphon tube if you decide to sling em in.

You can do either...make sure you sterilise EVERYTHING!
Boil a couple of steel spoons to sink a bag if you use one..I did this.
Your kit comes with a syphon sock to go over the end of your syphon tube if you decide to sling em in.

Thanks mate -
no syphon sock in the kit so I have boiled and sterilised the **** out of 2 spoons and a muslin bag, wrapped them up and syphoned onto it in a clean bucket. It was at 1010 so I've taken it off the yeast sediment. I'm not sure if I should have left it as it was and simply added the hops , but it's been such a slow ferment I did it anyway (17 days)

3 days time, I'll batch prime and bottle :thumb:

4 week test, and this beer is amazing.

If i was charged £5 a pint in Brewdog I'd think it was theirs.

Latest posts

Back