Blending wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the years I've experimented with blending wines - usually to avoid wasting a wine which is either too sweet or maybe too bland on its own.
The most successful examples are blackberry/elderberry and most recently celery/peach.
The blackberry imparts a fruity hint and negates some of the tannin, giving a more rounded and less heavy wine. I now make some every year - especially as the inclement weather we get has resulted in some poor crops, producing an insipid rose on its own.
The celery/peach is one you really must try. It came about because a gallon of peach wine I was making stuck at SG1005, really too low to go to all the trouble of trying to get it going again. As I also had a gallon of celery wine which had bottomed out at SG995 I decided to mix the two - and what a splendid result! The fruity flavour of the peach is enhanced by the sharpness of the celery, giving a crisp, slightly sweet white - ideal as an aperitif or just enjoyable everyday drinking. So I'm going to make this again soon!
If anyone else has blending tips/experience to share I'd love to read about them.

Angle thanks for your reminder about the whole being potentially greater than the sum of its parts in wine blending. Usually I try to combine ingredients in the must (e.g. blackberry + elderberry) but like yourself I also try to improve wines through blending. That celery/peach combo sounds like a good one to try.

Angle thanks for your reminder about the whole being potentially greater than the sum of its parts in wine blending. Usually I try to combine ingredients in the must (e.g. blackberry + elderberry) but like yourself I also try to improve wines through blending. That celery/peach combo sounds like a good one to try.
Thanks for replying alvin. Your reply prompted me to re-read my post, and note that I had made a daft mistake. The wines used were celery and PEAR - not peach as I had written. I'll get my coat.....

Thanks Angle. Both peach and pear sound promising to me. It would be interesting to compare them, and to also see how different yeasts affect the result. I have been impressed by the substantial taste difference of wines from identical musts but different yeast strains. I have only compared 3 different yeast strains so far but I would bet on D47 making something special out of peach and/or pear.

I have had to do some blending this autumn. I made some blackcurrant wine and added a bag of sugar instead of a lb of sugar. It is like drinking alcoholic ribena out of the bottle.
I am using it to blend with some of my very dry whites and it works very well. I have blended 1 bottle of the blackcurrant with a gallon of plum. This now belongs to the missus. It has also gone well with carrot and turnip.

Back