Efficiency

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 32l pan is 32cm tall inside. I just measure 10cm from the top et voila! 22l of water. If your boiler isn't straight sided I'd just measure known quantities into it once and make a note of depth from the top for the different amounts.

Just to explain, kh is carbonate hardness, this buffers the pH of your mash and if it's high can keep it too high. There are folks on here who can explain water treatment or using acidulated malt better than I can I'm sure. My kh is very high here, so my mash pH was too high, so I used subtractive methods (mixing water filtered through my RO system with tap water, a trick from the aquarium hobby, where TDS matters too.) instead of additive as with our tap water I knew there would still be plenty of calcium in there. Or you could be in a soft water area even, or luck out and be in an area with perfect water.

Anyway, I made a change and my mash pH was 5.4 this time, just part of why my efficiency improved.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

My 32l pan is 32cm tall inside. I just measure 10cm from the top et voila! 22l of water. If your boiler isn't straight sided I'd just measure known quantities into it once and make a note of depth from the top for the different amounts.

An Ullage Stick that measures what isn't there? :thumb:

Ullage Stick.jpg

I need one of them Ullage sticks for my bank account

And maybe a stick that puts additional funds there... like a wand? I wouldn't mind one either.

I think I've sorted the water issue now.

I've got a pump from the BH Black Friday Deals.. best purchase ever! and I just the other day bought a flow meter and solenoid valve on amazon.. which I'll hook up to the hose and the pump. I'll be able to set the number of litres in the flow meter and it will stop the solenoid valve at that exact measurement. I guess I'll have to be quick to stop the pump too before it burns out or breaks the solenoid. Although if it all works good, I could wire the same flow meter to the pump so that when it triggers the solenoid, it also stops the pump.. but that's for another day.

So (hopefully) if I assume this will stop my water volume issues... the next thing to concern myself with is things like PH, mash temp and also whether I should be crushing my own grains.

The flow meter also records temperature of water passing through it, which will be really handy too.

If it's any good, I'll write a little review.. because it was only £70 odd from Amazon.

And maybe a stick that puts additional funds there... like a wand? I wouldn't mind one either.

I think I've sorted the water issue now.

I've got a pump from the BH Black Friday Deals.. best purchase ever! and I just the other day bought a flow meter and solenoid valve on amazon.. which I'll hook up to the hose and the pump. I'll be able to set the number of litres in the flow meter and it will stop the solenoid valve at that exact measurement. I guess I'll have to be quick to stop the pump too before it burns out or breaks the solenoid. Although if it all works good, I could wire the same flow meter to the pump so that when it triggers the solenoid, it also stops the pump.. but that's for another day.

So (hopefully) if I assume this will stop my water volume issues... the next thing to concern myself with is things like PH, mash temp and also whether I should be crushing my own grains.

The flow meter also records temperature of water passing through it, which will be really handy too.

If it's any good, I'll write a little review.. because it was only £70 odd from Amazon.

Review time.. don’t bother... Ioad of rubbish. Cheap Chinese plastics rubbish and doesn’t come with a power adapter. Was told that the power adapters are sold separately and will be 2 weeks as from China. It’s going back unused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back