fruity cider stuff disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevander74

Regular.
Reaction score
Yesterday, during a teaching brewday, i made a fruit cider. I bought 5l of asdas apple, grape and raspberry fruit juice and a sachet of r21 red wine yeast. I put 4l in a dj, heated the 5th litre and dissolved an extra 100g of sugar in it then added this to the dj and added the yeast. :D
About 4 hours later i checked on it and found disaster had struck. :eek: The juice developed a thick pulpy mushy head that had forced its way up through the airlock. :sick: Im guessing this pulpy head was from bits in the fruit juice that i hadnt realised. I fished out as much of the mush as i could with a teaspoon and cleaned out the airlock. I thought i might have lost a lot of the yeast in the mush so i put the airlock back on and left it to see what happened. :pray:
This morning i checked on the fruity cider stuff and there was very little activity, the odd bubble but not what you would expect. So rather than pour the lot down the drain i decided to add a pack of ale yeast that was left over from a kit i used yeterday. Dont know how this is going to effect the cider but i had nothing to lose so might as well. :hmm:
Now ive just got to sit back a see what happens. :whistle:

Yea good luck at saving it. this happened to me a few weeks ago. it survived so hopefully yours will to. but i used notingham ale yeast to start with and used the same kind of yeast when i replaced the yeast

That'll teach you not to overfill a DJ :whistle:

I don't see any other problem though.

'Yesterday, during a teaching brewday, i made a fruit cider.'
Who were you teaching............???????????

ricardo said:
I was showing my mate brido1973 how to make beer from a kit and how to make cider from juice. All of which went well then we got drunk on homebrew and good ales :D

stevander74 said:
ricardo said:
I was showing my mate brido1973 how to make beer from a kit and how to make cider from juice. All of which went well then we got drunk on homebrew and good ales :D

Love it ......!!!!!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think ive saved it :D
its bubbling away nicely and smells awful :lol:
i hope it tastes better than it smells :pray:

so much for disaster.
yes it had a shaky start but after 2 weeks the fermenting had stopped so it was time to bottle it.
SG was 1054, FG was 996, giving a good 7.7% and it tastes not bad either, should mellow into a lovely drink over the next couple of weeks. :thumb:
Last time i did cider it turned out flat so this time ive added more sugar to prime and ill see what happens :pray:
Quite happy with it overall :D

Latest posts

Back