mini mash or partial?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJT

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hopefully my vague question is enough for you to go on.

I want to step up from just doing kits so want to do a mini mash or partial. I already have around 55g of cascade and 40g of Amarillo. Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use and what grains or speciality grains to use?

Cheers

Hi guys

Hopefully my vague question is enough for you to go on.

I want to step up from just doing kits so want to do a mini mash or partial. I already have around 55g of cascade and 40g of Amarillo. Can anyone suggest a good recipe to use and what grains or speciality grains to use?

Cheers

I don't really know what a mini mash or a partial is (aha! another opportunity to increase my knowledge - google here we come!)

You really going to want to do a pale ale with those hops IPA or APA are well suited

I don't really know what a mini mash or a partial is (aha! another opportunity to increase my knowledge - google here we come!)

You really going to want to do a pale ale with those hops IPA or APA are well suited

Yeah I was thinking IPA just not sure what grains to use.

Yeah I was thinking IPA just not sure what grains to use.

Keep it simple and just use one grain, a base pale malt - Marris Otter is the easiest to get hold of here in the UK

If you wanted to get a bit more complicated you could add ome other grains for colour . A tiny (were talking less than 1% here) of black to make a golden ale or add some crystal to English-ify it (and also add some sweetness EDIT: and caramelly favours)

American pale ales and IPAs have crystal malts too, to balance the bitterness of the hops.

IPA really, marris otter as suggested, you can use a little bit of crystal malt too if you fancy, as well as a little acid malt too giving you a rounder flavour. I dry hop with amarillo when i do an IPA or PA

Yes use a pale malt like Maris Otter, and most IPAs have a bit of crystal to counter the bitterness of the hops. I use Caramalt a lot, it's a pale crystal malt, and I like it. Here's a partial mash recipe for an IPA that uses Cascade and Amarillo...

Malt (for an OG of 1.058 at 75% extract efficiency)
1.5kg Maris Otter pale malt
200g Caramalt or other Crystal
2kg light dried malt extract

Hops (for 55 IBUs)
Cascade hops 40 g, boiled for 60 mins
Amarillo hops 30 g, boiled for 5 mins
Cascade hops 30 g dry hop
Amarillo hops 30 g dry hop

Keep it simple and just use one grain, a base pale malt - Marris Otter is the easiest to get hold of here in the UK

I hate you guys lol, I LOVE Maris Otter but I have to spend almost 2x for it. Golden Promise is a close second but wish I could brew with these every time.

Yes use a pale malt like Maris Otter, and most IPAs have a bit of crystal to counter the bitterness of the hops. I use Caramalt a lot, it's a pale crystal malt, and I like it.

Malt (for an OG of 1.058 at 75% extract efficiency)
1.5kg Maris Otter pale malt
200g Caramalt or other Crystal
2kg light dried malt extract

Hops (for 55 IBUs)
Cascade hops 40 g, boiled for 60 mins
Amarillo hops 30 g, boiled for 5 mins
Cascade hops 30 g dry hop
Amarillo hops 30 g dry hop

Thats a tasty recipe right there.

Back