Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on mine this morning and the foam has at some point tried to escape as there are marks on the inside of the fv id...Hasn't gone through the airlock though so happy about that. Seems to have died back a bit so now moved out of the bath into the from room. cant wait for this to be finished.

Coopers Stout kit plus 1kg Coopers Brew enhancer 2 plus 500g molasses sugar plus a mini mash of 800g Maris Otter, 200g crystal, 100g chocolate malt, 100g roasted barley (1 hour at about 65/66 degrees).

Boiled the mini mash and added 15g progress @10 mins and 15g Bramling Cross @5 mins.

Pitched Coopers yeast and it's all bubbling away nicely now. if it turns out as good as their Irish stout I'll be very happy.

I'll dry hop with some more Bramling Cross after about a week.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Ay up guys. After seeing so many people raving about the kit and being fond of a good old stout... I've decided to get 2 on the go as my third and fourth brew. I plan to do a turbo stout with a tin of Original Coopers Stout, 1.5kg of Dark LME and 500g of Muscovado to 20l with the kit yeast and a sachet of Craft English Ale yeast. And for the second a tin of Coopers Irish Stout, 1.8kg of Dark LME and 20g of Fuggles Pellets strained in post-boiled water for 30 mins with the kit yeast and a sachet of Craft English Ale yeast. Question is, one of my tins of LME is 1.8kg.. Would you advise to use 1.5kg of it or chuck the lot in, should I add the extra sachet of yeast and how many litres would be best to brew it to? Cheers in advance, hope you guys can help!

Coopers Stout kit plus 1kg Coopers Brew enhancer 2 plus 500g molasses sugar plus a mini mash of 800g Maris Otter, 200g crystal, 100g chocolate malt, 100g roasted barley (1 hour at about 65/66 degrees).

Boiled the mini mash and added 15g progress @10 mins and 15g Bramling Cross @5 mins.

Pitched Coopers yeast and it's all bubbling away nicely now. if it turns out as good as their Irish stout I'll be very happy.

I'll dry hop with some more Bramling Cross after about a week.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

That's some recipe! I'm just a novice and in the process of starting my first one, not sure whether to add any crystal malt as I want it dryish.

I've boiled 50g of Columbus hop pellets for 15 minutes, added 2 Twining's Liquorice teabags for 2 minutes, 1 Camden tablet, 1kg Munton's Beer Kit Enhancer and I'll be adding the water soon, not sure how much but it'll be around 15 litres all in.

Edit; 15 litres at 1.056 without the crystal malt and hopefully a final gravity of around 1.008 might come out around 6.5%

How long does it normally take to finish fermenting. Mines at 24c started Wednesday was going like a rocket. Now its slowed down only getting the odd bubble though airlock every few minutes now

Just checked gravity now 1014 will check tomorrow looks like it could be ready to bottle soon only taken 7 days to get this low. Had a quick taste and it's nice

My coopers stout has, 500g dark malt,250g soft brown sugar, tin treacle in it :drink:

Just checked the gravity and down to 1011. Tastes good and not too dissimilar to Guinness original. Can't really taste the treacle though.

image.jpg

Could you put treacle in each bottle for priming or something similar instead of carbonation drops and how would you do it

This has been in the secondary for a few days now and I plan to crash-cool it tonight ahead of bottling tomorrow.

An 8% Imperial Chocolate Stout. I didn't imagine I could create such a beast from tins!

Recipe is as follows:

Cooper's Stout

Thomas Cooper's Dark Liquid Malt Extract

500G Dark DME

200G Cocoa powder

200G dark brown sugar

Left a HUGE amount of trub, as you would expect, which has left me with around 20 litres in the secondary FV. I think this one might have to be stored in 330ml bottles!

This has been in the secondary for a few days now and I plan to crash-cool it tonight ahead of bottling tomorrow.

An 8% Imperial Chocolate Stout. I didn't imagine I could create such a beast from tins!

Recipe is as follows:

Cooper's Stout

500G Dark DME

200G Cocoa powder

200G dark brown sugar

Left a HUGE amount of trub, as you would expect, which has left me with around 20 litres in the secondary FV. I think this one might have to be stored in 330ml bottles!

Truly immense effort.

I have done a Coopers plus a Wilko Velvet stout kit and added just sugar in the past, but have got some fancy looking cocoa powder for this sort of purpose in the future. A "must do" for a kit brewer IMO.

Recipe is as follows:

Cooper's Stout

500G Dark DME

200G Cocoa powder

200G dark brown sugar

I am planning another big stout, once I have finished the quaffing beers for Xmas (I have Cerberus Imperial Stout waiting for Xmas, I have tried the short filled tester bottle and its really good) I would just like to ask what yeast you used as I am planning a 8%+ brew for some time soon.

It would be much easier to batch prime with treacle.

Dissolve the correct amount of treacle in a small quantity of water (try this batch priming calculator and remember treacle is about 70% fermentable so you'll need to adjust accordingly); bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes, then leave it to cool.

Once it's cool place in a fermenting bin with a tap. Then siphon in your stout. This will mix the treacle solution and the beer evenly together. From there you just go ahead and bottle; I use a bottling wand attached directly to the tap which makes life a lot easier.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Well this is only my second kit after a Woodfordes Admirals Reserve (which is Fantastic!!!) and have started it off tonight.
I have set away the original Coopers stout kit with 1kg of Muntons brew enhancer a 454g tin of treacle and 300g of Tate & Lyle Golden Granulated. I have brewed it to 22 litres as i miss measured. The OG is 1052 and i pitched the kit yeast at 26 degrees C. Fingers crossed it will be ready/drinkable for New Year:D:D

Got up this morning, bubbling away nicely. Frothy head almost touching the lid. Brew belt has it sat at 26 degrees C. Jobs a good un!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

It said in the instructions that the optimum temp is 21-27 degrees.
I've moved it into the garage and it is now sat at 22 and bubbling away quite nicely!! It smells fantastic too!!:grin:

Latest posts

Back