Runner Bean Wine Recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRM

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a few lbs of older runner beans that I was thinking about making some wine from, after seeing online that they can make a dry sherry like wine. Has anyone a good recipe for one or something to use them up with?

Cheers

Not done this as have had little luck growing runners in recent years. But found this: 3lb Runner Beans 8oz raisins 2.5 lb sugar 1 sachet yeast tea bag Boil the beans in as much of the water as possible until they are soft. Strain on to the raisins, sugar and teabag in a large bucket. Leave to cool to blood heat and then add the yeast. Ferment in the bucket for 7 days in a warm place eg.airing cupboard. Strain into a demijohn add an airlock and leave to finish its fermenting, racking off and bottling when clear.

Thanks again Tau, I think it'll be worth having a try when one of bins come free. After topping and trimming the bad I've ended up with 7lbs so i'll try a gallon and go from there

Hi Dan
Was wondering if you got round to making this wine. If so how did it turn out please?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Well have just been at the demijohns with the wine thief.
The runner bean looks like a dark sherry looking wine. Glad I made it. Can't place what it is but liked it.
Intriguingly followed by a very dry, rocket fuel pear wine then back again and tasted just like bean water from cooking beans. Most odd.
Used excess of French beans. Will make again, especially given there are always an excess of beans.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Freezer is now full of runner beans and the last ones are still coming so I'm going to have a bash at this one. Thanks for the recipe.

Back