Wilko Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same question. A bit of googling later and, as ever, there seems to be a debate about whether fresh zest or dried peel is the way to go.

Some add to a boil, some to the FV from the off, some 'dry hop' with it towards the end. Some add it into the bottling barrel.

In terms of drying.....I guess air drying is possible, or maybe gently in the oven? Or buy it ready done? In sweet or bitter forms?

https://www.dorsethomebrew.co.uk/shop/raw-ingredients/623-dried-curacao-bitter-orange-peel-50g.html

https://www.dorsethomebrew.co.uk/shop/raw-ingredients/622-dried-sweet-orange-peel-50g.html

I made a "tea" with fresh zest.

The FV smelled like fanta afterwards.

Can I ask did you just boil the zest with water then just add the liquid to the FV ?

Haven't brewed for over a year now and have this kit to get back into it.

Brewed a two can kit over the weekend, my first brew in over a year and my first ever using my FastFerment Conical fermenter.

I was thinking of using adjuncts but settled on following the instructions for my first go in a while.

It was quiet for 24hours but is now bubbling away steadily at about 18c

The joy of my Fastferment is that I just need to empty the collection ball after primary fermentation- no need to rack for secondary !

I'm going to give it a week and see how its doing.

MAY add something to it for secondary - tempted to add citra.

Started the 1tin on NYE,

But I added about 2ltr of boiling water to the fermenter then the wheat stuff, used 1ltr to get the rest out of the tin, while adding the cold I added the 1kg sugar and mixed up to 23ltrs. Added the yeast and mixed again.

Left at about 18 degrees, 9 days when the Gravity read 1012 (ish) for 2-3days (OG was 1044 I think, was a bit drunk at the time).

Mine didn't blow the lid and was very well behaved, might be because I didn't add the sugar last?

Transfered this last night to a PB and added the 85g of wilko brew sugar.. things got lively then! Quickly sealed the lid before all the energy went.

Just hoping I don't go home to a hole in the roof.

How did it keep in the pressure barrel? I have some in a FV right now and was going to put in PB but was unsure if that would work for a wheat beer.

How did it keep in the pressure barrel? I have some in a FV right now and was going to put in PB but was unsure if that would work for a wheat beer.
Wheat beers are apparently served with a high degree of carbonation, Brewers Friend suggests 3.3 - 4.5 vols for German Wheat beer
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
The 'normal' suggested max priming rate for a standard PB is about 90-95g sugar, (and in fact if you add much more you should vent the PB through the relief valve ) and for about 22 litres that will only give you about 1.9 vols.
So the style requires more CO2 than you can safely get in a PB, and so it's probably best put into bottles. That said it might be OK if you stay within the PB limits, you would just have to keep the CO2 topped up that's all.

I'm currently brewing the one can kit brewed short 20l added 1kg of brewing sugar and it went nuts for three day's blew the lid off and made a right mess of the airlock and FV 4th day and it went from hero to zero slight bubbles no airlock action. Checked the gravity and in the 4 day's it's gone from 10040 to 10010 4% ( roughly what it says in the instructions ) gonna leave it another day then bottle. Can't see it being long before I'm drinking this bad boy! I like my Wheat beer like Hoegaarden cloudy.. last time I brewed a wheat I think I left it to long fermenting and it was clear like Leffe.

Back