St peters ruby red ale 1st time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underslash

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've just completed my first starter kit and it turned out ok(coopers cervesa starter kit) and have now decided to start a premium kit for more of a better tasting brew. So I have went for the st peters ruby red ale as I've seen nothing but good things about it.

I bought a second fermentation-vessel and have used this to start with, so that I can syphon n bottle with my coopers vessel but my main worry is straying from the st Peter's instructions in regards to getting a better taste if I leave it longer than the 4 - 6days advised, I'm on day 4 now n am going to check my airlock when I'm home from work tonight to see if theres less activity, I am happy to stick to instructions but if I can get a better taste then I'll go for that, so any advice with this kit will be much appreciated, thanks.

Hey guys,
I've just completed my first starter kit and it turned out ok(coopers cervesa starter kit) and have now decided to start a premium kit for more of a better tasting brew. So I have went for the st peters ruby red ale as I've seen nothing but good things about it.

I bought a second fermentation-vessel and have used this to start with, so that I can syphon n bottle with my coopers vessel but my main worry is straying from the st Peter's instructions in regards to getting a better taste if I leave it longer than the 4 - 6days advised, I'm on day 4 now n am going to check my airlock when I'm home from work tonight to see if theres less activity, I am happy to stick to instructions but if I can get a better taste then I'll go for that, so any advice with this kit will be much appreciated, thanks.

Don't take the 4-6 days as gospel.

Personally give every brew at least 2 weeks before even checking the Gravity to see if its finished or not. then give it at least 2 weeks in the warm to carbonate after bottling and then at least 2 weeks in the cool to condition/settle.

Trust me you will have a far better beer. The problem is you need to get a supply built up to give you beer over this 6 week period. I bough shop beers for a while to cover it and kept the 500ml bottle for re-use. once you get into the habit of it you can have a brew o every 2 weeks and get a steady supply of your own.

Oh and I have this kit sitting on the shelf along with the honey porter and looking forward to having it ready for the xmas period:grin::thumb:

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah I thought leaving it would be the best bet, I've been keeping bottles from past weekends and getting a bit of a collection, it's gunna be hard waitin but def be worth it on long run

I brewed this recently. Short brewed it to 20L and dry hopped for 4 days with 50g centennial. In total it was in the fermentor for 12 days. It has turned out really nice. I have put the last 10 litres of it away for Xmas as I noticed it improving with age.

Go with what the others have said :thumb:
Leave it for at least 2 weeks in your FV. I aim for 16 days or so, and by then it will be clear or nearly clear but still with enough yeast to carb up. And you dont end up with lots of yeast in your bottles.
And open your first bottle about a month after bottling after its carbed and matured a bit. Then try one every week or so and notice how it improves. My guess you will be able to get stuck in properly at around Xmas time.

I brewed this recently. Short brewed it to 20L and dry hopped for 4 days with 50g centennial. In total it was in the fermentor for 12 days. It has turned out really nice. I have put the last 10 litres of it away for Xmas as I noticed it improving with age.

I've kept a few of my starter kit for Xmas to see how nice it will get as it tasted very cider at first but taste has smoothed out a lil since, I'm really looking forward to the Ruby red ale, it smelled soo good when opening the kit and the dry hops smelled good, thanks again guys 👍

My favourite kit beer, made it a few times and it’s always lovely

Might have to try that one next.
As for stockpiling, definitely do 2 kits one after the other and get 60 bottles sat conditioning. When you're down to 49, get another brew on. Keep the level of stock going and you'll always have access to 2 or 3 different beers that are 2 months mature or better.
Heavenly
Alter when you put your next brew on depending how much of an old soak you are 😂

Latest posts

Back