Cwtch Kit Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazzie_fozz

Reaction score
Hey fellow homebrewistas,

I'm dusting off my homebrew set up after a year's break. Thought I'd start with the Tiny Rebel Cwtch kit that I got gifted for Christmas.

I've had a look at the reviews and it seems like everyone was pretty happy with their results so I wasn't planning on tweaking the kit.

However - I've noticed that it's Munton's yeast which rings alarm bells. Also, it's been in my cold, damp cellar for a year - do you think this would affect the yeast?

Would your advice be to a. carry on as per instructions b. swap out the yeast c.rehydrate the yeast?

Ta very much in advance,

Hazzie

Unlinke some Muntons kit the cwtch comes with two packets, which is better. Cool is the way it should be stored but a year is quite a while. Personally, I would use it but also chuck in a pack of Nottingham or US-05 for good measure.

Great Saturday morning - my Cwtch is in the FV and all looking good. The Citra hops smell brilliant!

I only made two mistakes - completely forgot to get any bottled water this week so used what I had and then topped up with tap water. I don't suppose that will make too much difference.

Then, when filling the FV from the tap, I took my eye off the ball and filled to around 22/23 litres rather than the recommended 20. Stupid mistake.

On the basis this could leave the beer a little thin, would it be worth substituting the priming sugar with light spraymalt in order to add some more 'body'?

However - I've noticed that it's Munton's yeast which rings alarm bells.

The only problem with Muntons yeast is usually the quantity not the quality: it's a good yeast, but the little packets are just not enough for a full-volume brew. But as IainM points out, this kit includes 2 packets of it so it'll be fine.

Do you mean in addition to what I use for priming?

Forgive me if i have read this wrong but if you only pitched the yeast yesterday your probably all right to add some dme as you added too much water. If its longer than 24 hours i would'nt bother just in case it does not ferment out. You will end up with a thinner weaker beer but you could always add a hop tea , dry hop or both with the same hops that come with the kit.

It’s well over 24 hours so I’ve decided to leave well alone. I’ll look at your hop suggestions and will use light spraymalt when priming. Will post a review in the appropriate section in a few weeks!

Why not gently stir in some LME (Holland and Barrett's comes in 1lb jars and only costs £2.99 even when not on offer). That stands a much better chance of being gobbled up by the yeasties compared to undissolved lumps of DME.

Back