this is a serious question, honest!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
how long will beer keep in a barrel?
i know the average answer im gonna get is not very long! lol
but i have 4 barrels and would like to get them all full with different ales but if the beer wont keep too long then its no point as im the only beer drinker in the house, it would save on bottling(cleaning ,capping) but bottles can be stored as barrels cant.

any sensible ideas as the length of time before the beer would be undrinkable?

cheers

beer either degrades or gets better with age, generally. you're probably looking at 6 months like wendy says for optimum taste, and from then on it'll start to lose aroma if it's a beer to be drunk young. you could look into some beers that improve with age - that way you can fill up a keg or two with something and not have to worry about drinking it quickly!

Cider gets better with age and is almost never drunk young - just an idea :)

The only potential problem is any air in the headspace above the brew. Do you have a means of injecting carbon dioxide into the kegs? If you can give it a blast of CO2 and then ease the cap to purge the air, there's no reason why your beers shouldn't keep for many months. Alternatively, overprime and then release some pressure after a day or two.

If any of your kegs have got bottom taps, keep the CO2 pressure up and don't let them run flat. If air glugs back up through the tap and into the beer, that's when spoilage occurs and you need to drink it quickly.

As I use Cornelii and can only dispense by gas pressure, that problem doesn't arise, and I've certainly left beer in those for 6-9 months with no ill effects. Others will probably claim longer.

Moley said:
Others will probably claim longer.
:whistle: Currently almost 3 years for my last batch of imperial stout.

I do know of brewers that have kept Durden Park IPA's in corny for 4 years.

Plastic pressure barrels . . . I've had a strong mild in one for 12 months with no issues

Mild hasn't always meant a malty but lightly hopped brown beer with OGs in the 1.030s. I haven't tried making either myself yet but Wheeler gives a couple of recipes for Gale's and Sarah Hughes which hark back to the Milds of yesteryear, OGs 1.054 and 1.058 respectively, and those might have seemed pretty tame if you went back to the turn of the last century.

Latest posts

Back