Flavoured vodka

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windymiller

Reaction score
Right, appreciating the sensitivities that a certain word on this forum invokes (the one that sounds like the surname of that French Sacha geezer that sang "Raindrops keep falling on my head"), I have a question to ask that doesn't involve said word. Hopefully, I can stay within forum rules by asking it!

Noticing the significant difference in cost between duty paid vodka, whisky and bourbon in my local supermarket last night (£11, £17 and £21 respectively) for a 70 cl bottle, has anyone had any trials, successes or failures in flavouring and colouring duty paid vodka with the various essences that are legal to buy and use for this purpose?

At about £3 or £4 for a bottle of essence that is enough to flavour 3 x 75cl bottles of duty paid vodka, that would legally produce a 75cl bottle of bourbon flavoured vodka for just over half price. I imagine that drinking it straight may be less than satisfying, but when the OH drowns her bourbon in about 4 or 5 times the amount of coke, I wonder if she would notice!

Hoping I have stayed within forum rules.....

I never used the essence but I mixed vodka with fruit, sweets, etc. to make liqueurs years ago that was quite successful. And don't worry if it is not about the techniques about distillation etc. it's fine. You can do whatever you want with legally bought spirits.

Hoping I have stayed within forum rules
You know the rules :cool: flavour/colour your alcohol with anything you want :grin: :thumb:
Same goes for beer...chillies...chocolate...and cider/wine and anything else :drink:

Not a lot of experience with these essences I am gathering? Oh well, will just have to take the plunge and buy some to try out, tipped into a bottle of Smirnoff!

The Still Spirits range of flavours and esscences are very, very good for mixing with a neutral spirit like vodka. Although they are not the cheapest, they have some amazing flavours which include a Bailey's type drink, a black raspberry liquor and even a really nice limoncello.

Have you tried any of the "more conventional" ones like whisky and bourbon Aneray?

Latest posts

Back