Don't want bottle BOMBS!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarsims

Reaction score
So ive been making alot of turbo cider recently and i usually bottle in coopers 500ml PET bottles and prime with a teaspoon of sugar in every bottle... This makes the bottle super hard and completely carbonated in two weeks. Now ive collected around 24 500 ml ale bottles clear and brown and i want to use them with a capper to store my cider in but am wondering how much priming sugar to use in each GLASS bottle?

thanks in advance :cheers:

You are best batch priming. This is mixing a set amount of sugar for the whole batch in all the cider then bottling. For cider I prime at a rate of 7g per litre, this is a lttle less than your 1 tsp per bottle (most people would use half a tsp)

What you need to do is multiply the volume of cider by the priming rate so if you had 12 L of cider (24 bottles) and you went with 7g that would be 12 x 7 = 84 grammes. Weigh this out and disolve it in a little boiling water preferably in a sterilized container.

Next step is to syphon the cider from your fermentation vese, into another clean sterilized bucket or FV which has the sugar solution in the bottom. Don't let it splash about as you can oxidize the cider :sick: :sick:. Give it a good gentle stir with a sterilized spoon or paddle. Now you are ready to syphon into your bottles.

You should have bottles of cider with equal amounts of sugar. One advantage of this is if you are using a mish mash of bottle sizes you don't need to worry how much sugar to put in each as it is already done.

Once they are all capped put them somewhere warm for a week at fermentation temp and then somewhere cool for 2-3 weeks.

Turbo cider is best left to mature it will improve in taste. There is plenty on here about making and aging TC, with a little bit of knowledge and patience you really can make a decent pint of cider.

:thumb: :thumb:

+1 for gray's good advice.

The 7g per litre is as near as damn it a teaspoon per bottle and decent ale bottles will take that pressure no problem. I use them for my lagers and pilsners at that priming rate with no trouble whatsoever.

Personally, I let my ciders ferment out completely which usually takes 9 days and I only ever carbonate with a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar. This is enough to give it a slight sparkle if you fill the bottle to within 10 - 15mm of the top, without over-gassing, causing the yeast to lift off when you open or blowing the bottles up.

Mangers, Bulmers and Newcastle brown bottles are my first choices in that order.

Thanks for the replies! I think im gona go with either half a teaspoon or a 1\4 teaspoon of sugar per bottle as i only have 1 gallon demi's and 5 litre PET water bottles to brew in so won't be able to batch prime

You can still batch prime using a demijohn failing that a £1.50 bucket from B&Q :thumb:

Back