I love Sax...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseljockey

Regular.
Reaction score
solos...if I had the time I would love to play the sax...and for me Wesley McGoogan playing on Hazel O'Connor-Will You...is Magic

I love the song..but from around 2.25mins when he plays...

here wow

Dieseljockey said:
solos...if I had the time I would love to play the sax...and for me Wesley McGoogan playing on Hazel O'Connor-Will You...is Magic

here wow

Take some lessons....I just so happens that I know a sax teacher in Warks

johnnyboy1965 said:
Dieseljockey said:

here wow

Take some lessons....I just so happens that I know a sax teacher in Warks

Maybe when I retire..15 hour days don't leave a lot of time for yourself..

Learning any musical instrument takes 3 things

Time - plan around 2 hours a day to just getting to know the instrument, how it works with you and how you can get it to make the right noises at the right time.

Dedication - that 2 hours is every day, no excuses, you have to play scales, arpegios and practice pieces over and over until you can do it in your sleep. If you've ever watched the beginning of Fame the words "Youve got big dreams? You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying in sweat" ring true. If you want to be good at something you have to work at it.

Heart - You have to love what you are doing, it's no use taking up an instrument because it's cool. It'll just become a cool dust gatherer. You take up an instrument because it is a part of you tha,t until now, has been missing. If it isn't love at first sight, it isn't going to work. It'll become a fleeting affair.

For buying the Sax
Go to a reputable dealer, not some dodgy internet seller. An instrument should be tried before you buy it. To reuse the love theme - go on a date to meet your new partner, try a few before settling down for a happy life together.
Second hand instruments can be bought for a fraction of new costs, but again try before you buy. That bargain "Boosey and Hawkes" you have your eye on might have an air leak or the reed seat may be off centre.

I have heard good things about Hobgoblin but again try before buying.

Music teachers
A good music teacher is worth finding before you get the instrument, the can advise or dissuade on purchases as well as teach you how to play.
Most teachers are passionate about music, but again shop around. You aren't just shelling out cash on this, you are going into a partnership so you can learn. If you don't get on with the teacher you won't learn and possibly come to resent the instrument.

HTH

Carl (who bashes out tunes on a flute)

Addendum

This is what I want to learn when I retire Angry octopus

My wifes advice....buy a £5.00 recorder and a v. basic "recorders for beginners" book.
Private tuition is v. expensive
In fact dont buy one, we have hundreds here at home...

Frogfurlong...Johnnyboy`s wife here...agrre with everything that you say..ref buying any intrument...just dont do it...you will definatley be wasting your money.
Start simple...Grade 1 recorder

I would leap in both feet for a new intrument, but then I do have 36 years as a flautist (and other orchestral woodwind) under my belt :lol:

I do agree on the "learn the basics first" idea, but I'd go with a treble recorder or even an alto has a better tone. They are less likely to annoy the family and neighbours.

From there the sax is only a small step away, the fingering is similar only the change over to reed to cope with.

Top advice :thumb:

Frogfurlong said:
I would leap in both feet for a new intrument, but then I do have 36 years as a flautist (and other orchestral woodwind) under my belt :lol:

I do agree on the "learn the basics first" idea, but I'd go with a treble recorder or even an alto has a better tone. They are less likely to annoy the family and neighbours.

From there the sax is only a small step away, the fingering is similar only the change over to reed to cope with.

Top advice :thumb:
The only reason that there is a"fautist|" in any orchestra..because we need someone to put the stands awaw
Is this a musicianns joke>>>

OY!! I'm a Trumpet player! over 40 years experience too. Started in a T'brass band aged 9 and thought a cornet was a mute - wasnt impressed until i got hold of the big thing with three buttons on it then told i had two weeks to learn how to blow the damn thing or it was being taken off me!
Got into Trumpet big time whilst serving in HMF and ended up doing 6-8 hour dance band gigs and recording sessions all over the world - screaming AKA Maynard Ferguson. Also did pro precussion for about 10 years too and can just about get round a keyboard if i need to. Also taught trumpet/brass to school kids and adults.
As for Practice - its a must - you need to play every day to keep the chops in as well as the fingers (for reeds)
I used to to 2 hour warm ups before gigs when i was pro.
Nowadays i'm religated to funerals here in Turkey blowing 'last post' but i still need two days to get my lip in too. But as the saying goes its like riding a bike - the magic never leaves! :cheers:

screamlead said:
the magic never leaves! :cheers:

Yer right there, it's a joy no matter how much or how little you play compared to "the old times".

These days I play for my own enjoyment, mainly along with tunes on the radio. With family comitments it's hard to get that 2 hours free to pratice.

:cheers:

Oh a joke for you....

Two trumpeters walk out of a bar...

:grin:

Latest posts

Back