Prosecco!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
me and the OH add 1 tsp glycerine and a mug strong tea (brew it for like an half hour)

other than that we did it as is and its drinkable straight away (however we are making it a sparkling wine)

I did two DJs of this and have just racked and added findings to both but have left one 'live' to prime and bottle for fizz, the other I have added stabilizer and CT to make it a still wine but in a moment of either madness or genius I grabbed a 1/4 bottle of robinsons fruit and barley apple and pear flavour and chucked that in on the grounds of all the yeast is being killed off so will not feed on the juice even though it is no added sugar. When finished I had a little taster and even at this early stage it tastes like a very nice apple wine. I will update when bottling and at first tasting (if I can resist temptation) :oops:

Just bottled 4 litres.

Still a little sweet but as it produces C/O I assume it will become drier :pray:

Hi, I thought Prosecco was a wine (approx 11%) but there doesn't seem to be enough sugar in this recipe to get it up to that? Doesn't mean it won't be a nice drink (and I'm going to try it anyway as an alternative to a cider level alcohol drink :D ) but just wondering :hmm:

Cheers :cheers:

Shirazzy said:
Hi, I thought Prosecco was a wine (approx 11%) but there doesn't seem to be enough sugar in this recipe to get it up to that? Doesn't mean it won't be a nice drink (and I'm going to try it anyway as an alternative to a cider level alcohol drink :D ) but just wondering :hmm:

I thought this at first but wondered if it was because it is to be made fizzy, you can still add sugar in the bottle and it will mature to a dry rather than a swetet wine :hmm:

Grand gris said:
Shirazzy said:

I thought this at first but wondered if it was because it is to be made fizzy, you can still add sugar in the bottle and it will mature to a dry rather than a sweet wine :hmm:

Yes, but by my reckoning (and as a complete newbie I am happy to be corrected) you'd need to add at least 400g to get it to 11% which would make it explodingly fizzy!! :shock:

drewlincs said:
I have made this from the recipe above just bulked it up to 23 liters its been bubbling like a good one
I just tested it and its down to 1002 on the hd so thinking of bottling it now before it stops with a little sugar in the bottle to create the fizz before the yeast ends hope thats right

Just tasted a bottle tonight and it tastes good but sadly not fizzy :(

I did use finnings to clear maybe that killed everything off, I did prime with sugar in pet bottles as well

ah well it tastes good maybe I will have another go at doing 5ltrs again and see if I can make it fizz

Opened a bottle of this for friends at the weekend and they all felt they had had worse Champagne.

Loveley :thumb:

drewlincs said:

I had the same issue, like you I used finnings, but never had this issue before, still lovely though! (I'm not to big on wine either! :party: and swmbo likes it, double bonus :P )

Dibison said:
drewlincs said:

I had the same issue, like you I used finnings, but never had this issue before, still lovely though! (I'm not to big on wine either! :party: and swmbo likes it, double bonus :P )

I didn't use finings and it was as fizzy as champers :tongue:

Maybe it is the finings :wha: One to remember possibly

I used finings and still got fizz.
I racked it first then added finings, left to clear then carefully bottled into primed pet bottles. You do end up with a tiny bit of sediment but that's because you are secondary fermenting in the bottle.
This is a lovely simple recipe and I will defo be doing it again, with the cordial addition as well
:cheers:

Update
I have sampled another bottle after chilling and there is definitely and improvement, there is a soft fizz and the flavour is lovely
so all it needed was time :)
will def be making again and I also loke the idea of adding the cordial, any response from that?

The cordial added was a third of a bottle of robinsons fruit and barley and was added at racking after stabilisation so no need to boil the preservatives out. Did it on a spur of the moment thing but it gave the wine a beautiful apple flavour almost like Weston's vintage cider which if memory serves is about 9%. Best of all it can be drunk straight away IMO. I will defo do again

After reading this thread I decided to experiment with a TC type hooch that I already knocked up from some Asda pineapple & coconut juice. The hooch was seriously rank & nothing like the pina colada I had hoped for. So I racked the lot into a five litre plastic water bottle & poured in a shed load of sugar to see what happened. Well, its just about drinkable but jeeeeeeezus did I get some fizz!!! The plastic water bottle is seriously straining to keep its contents even though I've been degassing it twice a day. The remaining yeast must think its party time! I bought some more pineapple & coconut juice & some single cream to add as a mixer & it now passes for a fairly decent punch but I have moved the whole plot outside 'cos I just know that sooner or later its gonna go bang. I dunno how alcoholic it is... Probably lots 'cos you can really taste it if drank unmixed. I'm tempted to drink half & leave the rest to blow!

Sampled another bottle last night and its beautiful lovely flavour and lovely fizzzzz
Def on the make again list and soon

Howdy!

I've just made up 10 litres of this, it's my second ever brew so wish me luck. I added some yeast nutrient too....should I have done that :hmm:

Anyway, marking my place and looking forward to trying it!

The yeast nutrient will improve fermentation by providing certain nutrients that might otherwise be lacking. It's not usually needed for wines based purely on grape juice, but for pretty much any other it's a good idea to add some.

first off this sounds the dogs nuts and I will be getting this on the go on Saturday :clap:

did you find that you had any or a lot of sediment in the bottle after it has been left?

never did a fizzy one yet but thinking it may have sediment at the bottom.

also I take it need to use champagne bottles corks and cages? :wha:

mikey1967 said:
first off this sounds the dogs nuts and I will be getting this on the go on Saturday :clap:

did you find that you had any or a lot of sediment in the bottle after it has been left?

never did a fizzy one yet but thinking it may have sediment at the bottom.

These might solve your problem. They're stoppers designed to collect the sediment if stored upside down.

mikey1967 said:
also I take it need to use champagne bottles corks and cages? :wha:

You can use beer/cider bottles or PET bottles that have had fizzy drinks in. Basically any bottle that's designed to withstand pressure. They're not all created equal, of course: I have four clear glass bottles which had rose prosecco in, and I doubt they'll withstand the pressure that a champagne bottle would so I'll need a light touch when I come round to priming them.

The alternative is bottle-bombs.

Back