the tom challenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandkell

Reaction score
it has been said that wine should not be made from tomatoes! so to try and disprove the point i challenge anyone daring enough to make a good or reasonably tasting wine from tomatoes and any other ingredients they wish to add! BUT ........ the main ingredient must be tomatoes i suggest a 1 gallon trial to start with! c,mon lets prove the disbelievers wrong if not what have ya lost really? tomatoes thats it!!!!!! :party: :party: :cheers:

well done al - tom juice wine it is - everyone post recipes and pics along the way, maybe we get site admin to taste !!

i've never backed down from a challenge in my life and I know a tomato wine is a :nono: . But what the hell, ive got a couple of DJ's empty so count me in. :thumb:

Hi all,

WTF! (flipping 'eck that is).

I could have bought 10 kilos of cherry toms for £5 in Morrisons, when I first asked, and now you are all going to have a competition, as well as telling me :NO NO: !

C.S.M.F.P.F.B's the lot of ya. ;)

Anyway I don't even like wine....... :cry:

Diesel1.

My recipe is tomato juice, heavy on the vodka and a splash of tobasco.

I look forward to your fermented results :shock:

mines going on tonight, keeping it simple like a tomatoe wurzel really, let those tom flavours shine through!!

as for a judge we need a wine expert - both brewer and drinker, some one who is honest and doesn`t mince his words (just those of others ;) ) ring any bells? Maybe some one who isn`t sure that they want to ferment toms might want to try a few bottles :thumb:

...................Moley? .........................want to judge?

mines going on tonight as well. Just going to use 3 tins of toms, fement on the pulp for 5 days and see what happens. As for the judge's i think it should be Moley and Wurzel.

alandkell said:
make a good or reasonably tasting wine from tomatoes and any other ingredients they wish to add! BUT ........ the main ingredient must be tomatoes i suggest a 1 gallon trial to start with!

I think he outlined the rules in the first post Moley.

as for the minimum quantity of tomatos i would say we should go by what you suggested.

1 litre tomato juice
500ml passata
2 large tins of plum toms
2 lbs fresh toms

i am gonna keep it simple i think and boil up a must from 2litres of tomato juice 2 tins tomatoes chopped 1 and half litres of red grape juice 2.5kg sugar and half tube of puree and glycerine and pectin! :party: :clap: :clap: :thumb:

i bought some basil for this one but unsure whether to add coz not sure of the possible outcome being a beginner!

alandkell said:
i bought some basil for this one but unsure whether to add coz not sure of the possible outcome being a beginner!

Think of like a bloody mary... all in from the off :sick:

ok got my effort on tonight - gone down the tom juice and grape juice way - wondered if i should of used red instead of white grape juice but what the heck that can be tom wine #2 :lol:

dunno if we are posting recipes but mine was

1 litre grape juice
2 litre cheapo tom juice
1kg sugar
1tsp nutrient
2tsp pectalose - dunno if there is pectin in toms :whistle:
1/2 tsp tanin
1tsp GP wine yeast

didn`t add any lemon as there is citric acid in the tom juice
IMGP2108.jpg
IMGP2115.jpg
IMGP2117.jpg
IMGP2116.jpg

my OG was just over 1100 - so will record it as this as the must was around 30degrees and will be topped up after initial fermentation :thumb:

Moley good to see you joining in - i reckon its the lesser of two evils ;) i mean imagine judging ten entrys :lol:

soup wines :whistle: that`s another great idea - imagine curried lentil or french onion :lol: :lol:

sorry no photos coz r lass wont gimme her camera!
but here goes with my experiMENTAL wine ingredients and method!
2 litres of tom juice
2 small tins of chopped toms
2 litres of red grape juice
1 half tube of tomato puree?????
2kg of sugar!
and a good handful of chopped basil!
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
half a cup of black tea for tannin
pitched yeast and nutrient at an og of 1.090

first i added all ingredients to a pan other than the grape juice and simmered to infuse!
cooled to around room temp then seived into the dj, added grape juice, took hydro reading then pitched yeast and nutrient!! :party: :party: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen: :sick:

will get pics of the must up asap!

Right mines underway as well, decied on

2 x tins of chopped tomatos
1 x1ltr Grape juice
1 Kg Sugar
1 teaspoon Citric acid
1 teaspoon Tannin
1 teaspoon GP Yeast
1 teaspoon Nutriant

Put the toms in a bucket then added the grape juice, took a hyrdo reading and it came out at 1.040. Then i added 1 kilo of sugar and topped it up to 4ltrs cooled boild water. Gave it a good stir took another reading and it was 1.120 :shock: . Added the Tannin, citric acid (dont know if needs it but what have i got to lose) :D. Then i added nutriant and a GP yeast. Put the lid on the bucket and put it behind the couch with my other wines. Will fement on the pulp for 5 days and the strain the juice into a DJ and top it up with water.

Below are a couple of pics, i apolagise for the poor quality.

The star of the show.
023-2.jpg

First reading.
024-1.jpg

Second reading.
025-1.jpg

The additions.
026-2.jpg

All finished for now.
027.jpg

Back