Sparge Water Temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyn2001

Reaction score
I've always been Fly sparging with my liquor at 168 degrees max, as above causes tanins.

I now have a doubt watching a you tube clip:

Should my liquor be at 168 degrees max, or the temp in the mash tun, as by the time the water has sprayed into the mash tun, it will be cooler, and I suspect the mash tun temp will be cooler, maybe around 155 (but never measured that temp).

So, should my liquor be hotter in order to get a higher mash tun temp, but not over 168 degrees?

I've always been Fly sparging with my liquor at 168 degrees max, as above causes tanins.

I now have a doubt watching a you tube clip:

Should my liquor be at 168 degrees max, or the temp in the mash tun, as by the time the water has sprayed into the mash tun, it will be cooler, and I suspect the mash tun temp will be cooler, maybe around 155 (but never measured that temp).

So, should my liquor be hotter in order to get a higher mash tun temp, but not over 168 degrees?

If in doubt just hit 168f then sparge with that, esp if you mash out. That's what I do. As long as you're below 170f you should be ok.
But in reality to increase efficiency you "should" mash in at what ever temp your recipe calls for then mash out at 168f to help the sticky wort flow freely from the mash. This means your strike sparge will be 168ish.
If you don't mash out then let's say your wort is 155f you probably should use a strike water calculator. So to get a 168f sparge, you'd heat your water to 170f (ish). You're right, by the time the 170f strike water trickles through the 155f grain it'll hit 168f
TBH your efficiency will get slightly better, but meh...:?

Back