My wine page...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your instructions Brian, you might find you don't have to rack the kit wine in fact all the kits i have made have never asked for it, you do need to rack when making the supermarket juice wines.

Hello pal,
its a 6 bottle of red wine kit from wilki's
aye its says no need to rack off.
add the finings and then regulary shake the DJ for 24hrs...
I know if there's no need to rack off...but want use my wine whip to de gas!!, but I need the sediment away...:hmm: confusing me a bit....
ill get there...
ATB
Brian

You have to degas in the first DJ so don't worry about the sediment, once you get rid of the CO2 using your new wand and have added the other chemicals it will clear a lot faster than using the shake it method.

A tip if i may, give the wand 5 seconds one way then switch to reverse for 5 seconds, keep doing this for about a minute and it should be done.

You have to degas in the first DJ so don't worry about the sediment, once you get rid of the CO2 using your new wand and have added the other chemicals it will clear a lot faster than using the shake it method.

A tip if i may, give the wand 5 seconds one way then switch to reverse for 5 seconds, keep doing this for about a minute and it should be done.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh!! I see, don't worry about sediment at all....as long as it stopped Fermentation.
then de gas....& clear the wine...
is that right?
I didn't understand...my mind is getting better.
the temp. fell to about 18c in the night...so got a warm covering on it.
its 21-22c now but no activity..
I reckon the temp drop & more ullage in the DJ itll be hard to get the bubbles..
only been a day, so I'm confident....I've sterilize everything and the right SG reading..

so the wine will clear on top of the sediment? only need to bottle then.
can u imagine my question if I was making a all grain beer:doh: ha ha
now I know the racking problem I'm happy as Larry...not Brian
ATB
Brian

Don't worry about temperature, i have had wine finish in my kitchen at 15c, covering the DJ does help.

It will clear even if you don't rack, if you don't have one get a syphon with a sediment trap on it (looks like a little cup on the end of the solid tube) it makes avoiding sucking up the sediment a lot easier, i also added a length of syphon tube to the tap in the picture below so it reaches the bottom of the DJ.

$_1.JPG

Don't worry about temperature, i have had wine finish in my kitchen at 15c, covering the DJ does help.

It will clear even if you don't rack, if you don't have one get a syphon with a sediment trap on it (looks like a little cup on the end of the solid tube) it makes avoiding sucking up the sediment a lot easier, i also added a length of syphon tube to the tap in the picture below so it reaches the bottom of the DJ.

$_1.JPG

Thanks pal,
I actually don't want to rack..I want to try for the first time, and then my second batch I'll try racking to know the difference.
I've been looking at the difference stages and wether u need to this and need that!!
It helps my theropy and and learning
Thanks pal
ATB
Bri

Sorry mate I meant get a syphon tube with a trap for your supermarket juice wines as they can throw up a lot of sediment.

Hello all
I've been looking at the vaccum wine pump on Utube..have u a link for the pump to put on a DJ ?
It look s genius method of de gassing..
But I've got my wine whip now so any thought with the two methods please?

My shopping was bad!! I've ordered to auto sythom lol Ohhh!! I've got a spare....me and my brain is screw up ha ha!
ATB
Brian

I haven't used the vacuum method but imagine it will take a long time to draw the CO2 out, its obviously not a popular method as i cannot remember reading anything about it in the forum.

Hello all,
It was on Friday afternoon past that made my wine wort.
So now going up stairs to on its progress.
Is was slow to get started that why I've left it this long to top.
For all I am thinking I need to just try the 6 bottle kit to see if it's right, but I'm itching to do the 30 kit..
That in itself give me challenge lol buying the right kit.
I think 1-2 plastic FV one FV with bottom tap for bottling..1-2 Carnoy's for racking and all the extra bits and pieces.
As I always said if our lass knew what I have bought she'd have a fit!! Just like fishing kit!
Unfortunately 2 separate house I've got my home brew kit stored.
Both a long way from me now!! The AG kit is not cheap...I think I've spent over £150 so far just for 6 bottle kit...
But I love it!! Part of the hobby!
So off the research FV & carboys on the net...Ohhh! And bottles.
Catch you all in a bit.
ATB
Brian

Ixam not a fan of FV's with taps as they seem to leak oftem, have you thought about an auto syphon and a little bottler.

Ixam not a fan of FV's with taps as they seem to leak oftem, have you thought about an auto syphon and a little bottler.

what he said !

To be honest I only use the tap on my Coopers FV for taking off a bit of hooch to measure the SG. I didn't know any better when I bought my first one, the second one I bought doesn't have a tap

you have two autosiphons now ( :whistle: ) so get a bottling stick/wand to plug in the end of the siphon tube and you'll be laughing !

Aye pal I've got a auto syphon.
I suppose I was thinking with one handed! But if there's a way I'll try it!
Only need to cut off the flow when bottle full then do the next..all on a small table or floor frees my good arm...
ATB
Brian

what he said !

To be honest I only use the tap on my Coopers FV for taking off a bit of hooch to measure the SG. I didn't know any better when I bought my first one, the second one I bought doesn't have a tap

you have two autosiphons now ( :whistle: ) so get a bottling stick/wand to plug in the end of the siphon tube and you'll be laughing !

Lol
I meant the tap for using a bottle wand...be yous have sorted my mind...hard work sorry!!
Lol
ATB
Brian

Brian this is what i did (from another thread) to allow the little bottler to be used with my standard wilko syphon.

My FV doesn't have a tap and as i have read many threads about leaking taps i decided not to fit this one, i cut the tube off the tap at the point arrowed below then put the end of the syphon tube in boiling water to allow the little bottler to fit inside the tube as they are the same diameter.

attachment.php

Brian this is what i did (from another thread) to allow the little bottler to be used with my standard wilko syphon.

My FV doesn't have a tap and as i have read many threads about leaking taps i decided not to fit this one, i cut the tube off the tap at the point arrowed below then put the end of the syphon tube in boiling water to allow the little bottler to fit inside the tube as they are the same diameter.

attachment.php

Good idea!! Only sunk in my think skill!! Sorry pal.
A picture paints a thousand what's it name thingy :-)
Ordering one now lol.
Btw the wine needs a few day longer.
ATB
Brian

Latest posts

Back