1st WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a degassing wand for 10mins or so before adding the stabiliser then again after adding for another 5 mins or so once I topped up with water. It's now got a bit of sediment on the bottom already. Do I need to degass any further or carry on with finings?

I use one I have bought from my LHBS. Same shape etc. Used it twice as stated above. Will keep doing it

Totally noob error, but i have added part B of the kwik clear first!! And in total panic added Part A straight away.

What's next?

Doh!

Just had a peek at it 1.5hrs later and it's got loads of sediment on the bottom and is significantly less cloudy.
If after 48hrs it's still not clear enough can repeat the process of finings, the right way round obviously

Just had a peek at it 1.5hrs later and it's got loads of sediment on the bottom and is significantly less cloudy.
If after 48hrs it's still not clear enough can repeat the process of finings, the right way round obviously

No problem using it twice ... :thumb:

... "A" first then "B" of course! :whistle::whistle:

Actually, I would only leave it for 24 hours before starting.

Looked at it this morning. It has cleared somewhat but still not well enough. I can't see through the DJ at all. Will do another attempt tonight

Had a peep this evening and it's obviously clearing as there is a divide between the top half and the bottom. However the top half is still somewhat cloudy so i have restarted the process and added Part A of Kwik Clear and shook the DJ well. Will add part B in 30mins as instructed. THen i will leave it till the weekend and bottle it if it is clear then.

Been just over 1.5hrs since I finished with the quick clear. The sediment at the bottom has nearly doubled. Also the inch or so in the neck of the DJ is beautifully clear. Most clear any of my wine kits have ever been. Mightily impressed!

Lol. Totally noob error.

But I guess they say you learn from your mistakes. To me, that's what brewing is all about though. The adventure and enjoyment in both success and failures is part and parcel of home brewing. But ultimately it's all in the taste! Can't wait to finally try the 'finished' product when I bottle it. Now where did I put those bottles......?

Evening. Checked on it after returning from work to find that the bung was missing. Eventually found it about 2ft away. Was on this morning. No idea how long it had been off till I found it. Hope it's ok. On the other hand it's clearing nicely. Not sure if it's meant to be clearer than this?

Edit: Sorry for picture layout not sure why it's like that. It's upright on my phone.

20160818_174129.jpg

As your room heats up during the day the wine expands, this can be enough to force out a bung if it was last pushed in when the room was cooler, drape a heavy hand towel over it to at least keep it covered.

Yeh it's got a solid bung on it. I was assuming that since its degassed and stabilised it wouldn't need an airlock anymore

Update...

Wine is still clearing as per below picture.

How much more can I expect this to clear? If you could let me know if it has reached its limit of clearness?
I was thinking of maybe doing kwik clear again or just leaving it in the DJ for a month or so?

But.... I have to say, took a sample tonight and it tastes divine! Much more like a commercial wine and hasn't got that weird taste my 2 wine kits have got. Amazing. Slightly sweet and lovely tones

Edit to add:- wine looks at least 50% clearer when in a glass

20160819_210712.jpg

Back