Holland & Barrett Malt Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone (like me) who uses H&B malt extract for starters, or even to add to kits it's currently buy one get one half price. So two 454g jars for �£4 quid
My local one does a 650gm jar. I have a loyalty card as well!!!!! Useful stuff to have around.

I've just put 2 jars + a can of black treacle into a Geordie bitter kit be interesting to see how It turns Out. Thanks for the heads up I shall be getting a couple more tomorrow.

Cheers Pete

I've never brewed with it but it's fantastic for starters and culturing up yeast from bottle cultured beers

I've never brewed with it but it's fantastic for starters and culturing up yeast from bottle cultured beers
I use it on one recipe in particular and its a bargain. get a loyal card and your quids in. just think about it MyQul, you can get some protein shakes or steroids to boost your muscles as a freebee:mrgreen:

Weird coincidence. Bought some for the first time today after realising I've only 50g of DME and needed to make a starter for Saturday.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Weird coincidence. Bought some for the first time today after realising I've only 50g of DME and needed to make a starter for Saturday.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Ive always got a few jars in the garage, tho what one they stock from store to store varies apparently.. Its a good standby to have certainly.

How much do you use in a starter?

Sorry being lazy and not using the search - know i've seen it in another thread

I use H&B LME in extract brews, and for topping up kits. It works out slightly cheaper than the Potters brand that they sell. The trick is to watch out for their regular offers and buy it then. It also works out cheaper than Coopers and other 'homebrew' brands.
I have a sneaky feeling that it gives a better tasting beer than the LME from HBC which I have used, trial currently underway.
The only downside about using it is you end up having to store lots of jars if you use it regularly.

PS. If you want to get the last of the LME out of the jar, use hot but not boiling water to dissolve the LME. Boiling water can fracture the glass and it breaks and you get boiling water everywhere. That happened to me. :-?

Last edited:
assuming 1kg of dme is the equivelant of 1.5kg of lme sugar wise.

we know 100g of dme made upto 1l of solution should provide a liquor with 1.040-1.044 gravity

SO... i would suggest 300g of lme made upto 2l would provide the same....
If the HnB LME is similar in sugar content to brewers lme that is..

however your hydrometer should tell you..

assuming 1kg of dme is the equivelant of 1.5kg of lme sugar wise.

we know 100g of dme made upto 1l of solution should provide a liquor with 1.040-1.044 gravity

SO... i would suggest 300g of lme made upto 2l would provide the same....
If the HnB LME is similar in sugar content to brewers lme that is..

however your hydrometer should tell you..

I just assumed brewmate was correct (it may not be). I tells me 210g of LME for 2L gives a gravity of 1.039 and 210g of DME gives a gravity of 1.041. Your right a gravity ready will tell true, but I've done the above weights for both LME/DME and my starters have done what their supposed to each time

8726c97311b1f4475b8b9f7c41d18332.jpg

Got these yesterday for £4.03, saved £1.35 on buy 1 get 1 half price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8726c97311b1f4475b8b9f7c41d18332.jpg

Got these yesterday for �£4.03, saved �£1.35 on buy 1 get 1 half price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trust you accepted or already have a loyalty card.Use it to earn points which can be used against all purchases including all of the sales and offers:thumb:

Latest posts

Back