Plum wine not clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post on here, and 2nd ever wine! Slowly learning the techniques that the local homebrewer I helped as a kid didnt teach me! :-(

Anyway, I have 1gal wine from Victoria Plums, from my own trees. And it seems extremely reluctant to clear. Its had half of a Wilko 2-part finings sachet (the other half went into my 1st wine, Apple, again from my own fruit trees), plus several weeks stood, and also 72h with a dose of Bentonite. Its also had, after stabilizing, a teaspoon of Pectinase.

I suspect ive either a pectin or protein haze, and would like some advice on shifting it!

I suspect the issue comes from poor technique in preparing the fruit. I did the same as a friend had instructed me with the apples - cut the fruit up, destoned, and then boiled it up. It was only much later I realised that plums are a high pectin fruit :doh: (im no jam maker!) and so no pectinase was used before fermenting. (Ive since done a strawberry where I did add pectinase right at the start - its just finishing secondary and is already very clear!)

So can anyone suggest a way to clear this brew?

Wine finings might work (I've used Kwik Clear before now, which is 1 bottle of gelatine and 1 bottle of keisosol). Might be that it won't clear though, the best tool in your kit box here is probably time. Let it condition and mature. Oh, and guessing you thoroughly degassed before stabilising too?

Good luck. :thumb:

I have some 'Clear It', which is gelatine/kiesosol. Superkleer seems to be the same make up as the wilko finings its already had.

I dont currently have the facilities to cold crash im afraid.

Its in a DJ with a solid bung, well sealed, so can be left for a good while. Yes, It got a damn good degassing!

I've had to use two 'doses' of Kwik Clear once or twice for very stubborn clearing WOW's, which did the trick. As others have said, leaving it for a good while too will naturally help.

good luck !

I found Kwik Clear works best if you give each part a full 24 hours to work before adding anything else, or doing anything. I'm not that fussy over clarity though, flavour matters more. So don't sweat it too much if it doesn't clear.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Well, after four days its not showing much evidence of clearing. I'll give it to the end of the week, then try the 'clear It'. But I have a feeling this one is just going to have to be left alone for a few months.

Latest posts

Back