Out of date kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
Hi Folks

After an almost 2 year absence I am now able to get back into brewing. I've got a couple of of kits and yeast which I didn't use first time around, although now they're out of date. Will these be ok to use or will the kits have degraded over time?

I'd like to start up again with a Festival Golden Stag kit, expired May 2017

Cheers
Mike

The only thing that doesn't keep is the yeast, just buy some new sachets of ale yeast from Wilkos or the likes and you're ready to go. Happy brewing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep brew them and get some new yeasts from crossmyloof brewery,you'll find them on Facebook or just Google and send Steve your email Addy and he will invoice you,unbeatable from them for brewing supplies like yeast and hop pellets

The only thing that doesn't keep is the yeast, just buy some new sachets of ale yeast from Wilkos or the likes and you're ready to go. Happy brewing!

Dang, I've also got a few packs of safale yeasts which are out of date. What a waste!

Cheers for the advise. I'll get some yeast from my LHBS or even make up a little starter in a bottle conditioned beer.

Yep brew them and get some new yeasts from crossmyloof brewery,you'll find them on Facebook or just Google and send Steve your email Addy and he will invoice you,unbeatable from them for brewing supplies like yeast and hop pellets

seconded :thumb:

I would do as Godsdog suggests. However, if you are desperate to start the kit this weekend, I would use the kit yeast and order some CML yeast tomorrow. By the time it arrives in the post, you will know whether the kit yeast is working (or go to Wilkos for some Gervin yeast tomorrow)

Just to tag in this thread, what’s the general opinion on out of date spray malt? Sealed bags obviously, 6 months past ubd. I hate to waste anything but wasting a brew would be even worse.

Just to tag in this thread, what’s the general opinion on out of date spray malt? Sealed bags obviously, 6 months past ubd. I hate to waste anything but wasting a brew would be even worse.

If it's sealed and dry I'd have no problem using it. it's only sugar at the end off the day

If it's still a powder and not a huge solid lump, then I would use it
(OK, I would probably still use it if it was a solid lump as well - but only in a cheap brew)

Dang, I've also got a few packs of safale yeasts which are out of date. What a waste!

Cheers for the advise. I'll get some yeast from my LHBS or even make up a little starter in a bottle conditioned beer.

You almost answered your own question!

Don't throw any yeast out including your kit yeast! There will still be many viable cells.

Why not make up a starter with the yeast a day or 2 before your brew? If it froths up then you know it's working.

My friend gave me a kit the other day, went out of date in 2002

I’m in same boat, have a couple of kits that ‘expired’ in 2015. New yeast ordered and going to brew them up.

Back