wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crannman

Reaction score
been given a few screw top wine bottles will I be able to re use them and will they take a cork ? I'm new to all this :-(:-(

i seem to remember somebody else asking this and i believe the answer was no as the screw top bottles are made of a thinner glass and may crack when a cork is driven into it

Novatwist are excellent and reusable.

Also remember one of the stalwarts on here saying they cork screw tops and then add the old screw top as well for safety.

That's me :) You can put corks in screw tops, but if you have to put a lot of wellie when using a twin lever corker then you can crack the top of the bottle or at least the ridges. Using a sanbri handheld you don't have the issue. As long as you don't use 24mm corks then you should be ok.

One benefit of using the screw top, you don't have to hunt around the a bottle stopper once opened :)

No to the cork - an alternative to the twist caps to reuse the existing screw tops is to fit with petroleum jelly on the screw thread - works every time.

crannman, this might help NovaTwist Caps

I've not used any yet as my wine is still fermenting but everyone who uses them seem to swear by them.

I posted the thread (linked to in the quote above) on 11-09-2015 and i am still using the same ones i bought back then today and they are still airtight. :thumb:

I posted the thread (linked to in the quote above) on 11-09-2015 and i am still using the same ones i bought back then today and they are still airtight. :thumb:

Do you stand the bottle or lay on side? As longterm storage I put on side, unless I suspect some sediment and have room then upright.

If anyone lays bottles on side while using novatwist caps let us know the experience.

If anyone lays bottles on side while using novatwist caps let us know the experience.

I keep them in a kitchen cupboard out of the light then move them to the fridge wine rack 24/48 hours before we are going to drink them and we have never had one leak.

Blomberg_Fridgefreezer_KGM9691_Winerack.jpg

Am I alone in using good old fashioned corks without problems? My home made wine rarely stays in the bottle for more that 2-3 years maximum and I've never had corks popping out or air getting to the wine and spoiling it. And I wonder if part of the problem with corks is the method that is used to insert them? I use a floor standing lever operated corker which drives them in flush with the bottle neck rim without undue difficulty and certainly without damage to the bottle.

Latest posts

Back