Finngs Problem again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
3 days ago I added Kwik clear finngs to my wow wine after 3 days it seems still to be cloudy so I added a second lot and now still the same.So I thought I had done something wrong either with the wine or the finngs so I went back to the video and watched it again it looked I had done everything right until near the end.When he adds the finngs and he said it will take a week to clear. Now is this correct as according to the box instructions it should clear between 24/72 hours where wow man says a week so who is right here ? is it because it is a home made recipe and not a kit or what? a bit confused.com :whistle::ugeek::doh:

Most of mine are clear in 24 or 48 but usually 24.

I have had an issue a couple of times where the wine had not finished and was still fermenting (very slowly) even thought i thought it had i thought fermentation stopper would kill it but it doesn't so the continued fermentation stopped the wine clearing, are you sure it had finished 100%.

Did you add pectolace?

Most of mine are clear in 24 or 48 but usually 24.

I have had an issue a couple of times where the wine had not finished and was still fermenting (very slowly) even thought i thought it had i thought fermentation stopper would kill it but it doesn't so the continued fermentation stopped the wine clearing, are you sure it had finished 100%.

Did you add pectolace?

I've noticed this too. Now, I wait until every last vestige of fermentation has disappeared, then give it another 5 days before adding finings... clear in 48 max. But, just recently I was so caught out by the missus' voracious consumption that I felt compelled to add finings pretty much as soon as fermentation appeared to have ceased. 10 days later and it's still hazy. I like to do things right and I'm not happy with it but the missus is such a desperado that she just said "it'll be reyt" before downing a bottle in one. That's ma gurl!

I have used YSWYC since starting and they do start to clear if left for a few weeks not sure if that is the bentonite in YSWYC or just normal i still use KwiK Clear or Youngs clear It as i do not have the storage room to let them clear over a long period.

Using bentonite at the start reduces foaming rathing than acting as a fining agent. Red wine tends to clear quite quickly on its own. Kwik Clear and similar finings remove some tannin, which can leave white wines, which contain less tannin than reds, taste somewhat insipid.

Latest posts

Back