Pasteurisation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddybudd

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve got a cider on the go - from pressed apples and the lot etc...

It’s been through primary and over a week ago got transferred into secondary with a final gravity of just below 1005 - it had a vigorous fermentation and temperature was never an issue so I’m not sure why it’s stuck there and not any lower - maybe it’s the yeast tolerance?

Anyhow, I’ve just read that because of the final gravity reading being 1005 it needs to be pasteurised when it’s bottled - is this true?

Kind regards,

Budd

mine finished somewhere near there, I didn't pasteurise but did carbonate the bottles to avoid oxidation. the cider was fine months later.

I think I have read that the alcohol content, not the FG is important in storage. If your alcohol content and / or acidity is low then there may be storage issues. IIRC 4.5% was a cutoff I have read but don't quote me on that.....

Pasteurisation will certainly prevent re-fermentation and spoilage. I recently tried it with fresh pressed grape juice requested by my neighbour. I heated a litre of juice to 80 c, then let it cool before bottling. However, once opened and exposed to air, airborne yeast can get in and start fermenting, even in a fridge.
I have found that untreated dry cider keeps well in a sealed container, but eventually loses colour and flavour.

Thanks all - it should be 7.2% so that’s all good - I presume I could just then sulphite it and it would have the same effect?

Hi all,

I’ve got a cider on the go - from pressed apples and the lot etc...

It’s been through primary and over a week ago got transferred into secondary with a final gravity of just below 1005 - it had a vigorous fermentation and temperature was never an issue so I’m not sure why it’s stuck there and not any lower - maybe it’s the yeast tolerance?

Anyhow, I’ve just read that because of the final gravity reading being 1005 it needs to be pasteurised when it’s bottled - is this true?

Kind regards,

Budd

What yeast did you use?

If you put it into secondary and it can breathe under a stopper or airlock there is no danger of bottle bombs.

I'd be nervous of bottling this in sealed glass at this point unless pasteurised but apart from that I wouldn't be bothering.

Ah thanks for clarification!

I used a cider yeast - it’s not under airlock now because all gas activity seemed to have stopped, so it’s under a stopper - thanks!

FWIW I had read that once the hyrdrometer reading is static for a few days its is very unlikely fermentation will restart unless it was something artificial (eg cold, campdens) that stalled it. I'd therefore be confident bottling at that stage with no further chemicals or pasteurisation - not least because you may want the yeasties to carbonate the bottles by adding sugar. Only precaution I'd take is if using glass keep them in a room like a cellar that is very seldom visited.

Latest posts

Back