SMSH brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasteddy69

Reaction score
What’s your favorite malt to use in a SMSH (single malt single hop) brew. Please share your recipes. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a competition a few months back for SMASH beers, I thought the winning recipes would be published online but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Anyway, MO is nice as mentioned above, but I've also got good results with lager malt. I tried someone's Vienna IPA, and whilst strictly speaking it had more than one hop in, it was really nice as a single malt.

Fawcetts MO for many brews but over the last year or so ive switched to Crisps MO, perhaps its auto-suggestion going on? but i find its a ' lighter crisper' brew especially when used for a smash brew where a simple clean malt base helps highlight the hops characteristics.

I've never tried it but I've read you can make 'grain tea's' by steep your grain in hot water then tasting to see what flavour it gives you. You could buy several 500g packs of base malt and test out which one you like the flavour of

Latest posts

Back