Wurzel's Orange Wine - my very 1st homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hi there people I am getting excited about this one
I am going to make wurzels orange wine with mabey some minor difference

I have most of the stuff and want to start brewing up but I aint got it all yet
I will tell you what I have and what I want to do

i have 1 gallon, 2 gallon, and 4 gallon empty watering bottles
I have a syphon
youngs wine nutrient
potasiom borbate
citric acid
camdem tablets

I have everything but
tannin &
Pectic Enzyme

also I want to know about the yeast I got and if it will work the recipe calls for a a.p yeast
the yeast I have is ec-1118 saccharomyces bayanus would it be ok to use this and is this a red wine yeast and would it will work and give a nice flavour?

I want to start brewing today but with out being sure about the yeast and the tannin and pectic could I add the tannin and pectic later next week lets say or dose it all need to be in there in the beginning

also once its fermenting could u pop off the airlock to add stuff in or would that cause it to stop fermenting or cause a problem

also for the apple juice I have a tommy apple press new that I want to use to make my own cider
I want to replace the apple juice for real freshly pressed apples

grate site I am glad to be on board I am sure my 1st brew will be nice :)

The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations.

so I am sure the yeast will be fine
can I start with out the tannin and pechin

Sorry to be brief, I'm busy brewing.

Pectolase ought to go in from the start, although you can add double the amount later.
You don't need to buy tannin, use tea.
Your yeast sounds ideal :thumb:

thats awesom moley thanks so I can start brewing now but I will need more Pectolase at what stage at racking or just as soon as I get it
how do I use the tea, how much and when?
could tannin be added in at any stage?
thanks I am off to get suger, tea and juice :cheers:

thanks man :D

ps I couldnt find any grape juice so I got fresh pressed apple juice will I till need the teabags?

dose apples have the tannin what ever it is I am not too sure

No No NO No NO NO!

You can replace the orange juice with the apple juice (except it takes far longer to ferment out) but you can't substitute the grape juice.

If you've only got apple juice, make Turbo Cider.

no ill go and get some grape juice I will go and look

also do I sterilise the bottle i am useing with a capden tablet with plain water and leave it?
how do I use them and how many tablets per gallon
or do I just pop one in at the bigging of the ferment
i thought I needed to add the campden only after ferment didn't come with instructions as i got it off my dad
also the tannin come in time and pechin emzine

off to get some grape juce be back in a mo sugar and ingredent are desolving
yeast is on stand by for when I get back to make

yeeeh im doing it yeeeeh hehe thanks man for the help

There are all sorts of products available for sterilising or disinfecting the jar and anything else which comes into contact with your brew, powders you can buy from the homebrew shop, bleach (the thin, unperfumed variety) or those solutions and tablets which are used for babies' bottles. Whichever you use, rinse well afterwards.

With this sort of wine you only need one campden tablet per gallon when it comes to racking at the end of fermentation.

wicked i am bleaching out the bottle while i make the yeast :)

grate for all this help buddy :)

hehehehehehe yeh all done now hopeful it wont mess up
how long dose she take to brew 4 weeks?

Ready to rack in 2-3 weeks.
Ready to drink in 4-6 weeks.
Read the guide ;)

yeh I have moley mate thanks I was just looking at it and coming to thank you for it :)
yeeeeh should be good, the fun will start when I get ssome fresh apples next week mabey and go for some hard cider just like in the west country :P :)
thanks again I will keep this post updated

also on my fermenting bottle I am not sure how much to top up too there is still quite a bit of air in there
look at the link again

ps got it after 5 days and the activity dies down top that bottle right up to the next top :)
holie Moley grate stuff mate :clap: :cheers:

I can already see tiny tiny blotchs of small foam coool hehe
i bet by the time I come home later it will be nice and frothy :)
:drink:

Latest posts

Back