Pressure barrel valve leaking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have made an AG Abbots Ale clone and placed 16 litres of my 20 litre batch into a pressure barrel. 2 weeks on I have tired a little taste test to find out my valve is knackered, the pin had got stuck inside and therefore all the carbonated gases have escaped leaving me with a flat beer.

I have changed valves and put some CO2 into the barrel I get a head now but obviously the beer is still flat.

My question is, would there be any point adding some more dissolved sugar at this stage in order to gain some carbonation?

The beer is not spoilt, just flat.

Thanks in advance

Daf

Hi guys

I have made an AG Abbots Ale clone and placed 16 litres of my 20 litre batch into a pressure barrel. 2 weeks on I have tired a little taste test to find out my valve is knackered, the pin had got stuck inside and therefore all the carbonated gases have escaped leaving me with a flat beer.

I have changed valves and put some CO2 into the barrel I get a head now but obviously the beer is still flat.

My question is, would there be any point adding some more dissolved sugar at this stage in order to gain some carbonation?

The beer is not spoilt, just flat.

Thanks in advance

Daf
No probs.
Chuck in some more sugar, give it a swirl when its sealed up, leave it for a few days, and you should find it has carbed up provided the PB is gas tight again .
I solely rely on sugar to carbonate my PB beers and if they run out of puff towards the end of the barrel I just reprime. I don't even bother making up sugar solution.

Apart from incurring a chance infection from wild yeasts (always a possible problem, especially at this time of year) there should be no problem adding more dissolved sugar.

However, a more expensive but quicker way would be to keep adding CO2 via the valve.

Adding a capsule of CO2 shouldn't be a problem because when the beer becomes saturated with the CO2 the pressure relief valve should activate.

Apart from incurring a chance infection from wild yeasts (always a possible problem, especially at this time of year) there should be no problem adding more dissolved sugar.

However, a more expensive but quicker way would be to keep adding CO2 via the valve.

Adding a capsule of CO2 shouldn't be a problem because when the beer becomes saturated with the CO2 the pressure relief valve should activate.

Cheers mate. I note that you have made a Wilko Pilsner with chillies, do you mind sharing your method please? Which chillies etc. I find the taste of the habenaro chilli really nice.

I used six of the small Birdseye Chillies from Tesco, top & tailed them and put them in the FV before pitching the yeast.

There was very little "chilli" flavour to start with but it has developed since then. It started conditioning on 13th July but as August went on it has improved immensely. There is still no initial "chilli" taste but the heat builds from the back of the mouth as the pint goes down. A pleasurable experience for me! :thumb:

I am now down to my last five litres and will be taking the MK to France to share with French friends when it gets a bit colder.

I intend to make it again for the winter (again using a Wilco Pilsner as the base) but this time I think I may add a couple more of the Birdseye Chillies because I'm sure that the brew will take it with ease.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Back