No head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all
Hoping you are enjoying all this hot weather?
My question...
I made an AG SMASH - the only grain being Maris Otter. The beer tastes great but its as flat as a pancake. Is there a grain (or other ingredient) I can add that will produce head and aid head retention???

But if it's flat then you need to look at your carbonation. Irrespective if you used some head retention grains like carapils, wheat etc.

What/how much bottling sugar did you add at bottling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if it's flat then you need to look at your carbonation. Irrespective if you used some head retention grains like carapils, wheat etc.

What/how much bottling sugar did you add at bottling?

Very flat tea spoon sugar for a 500ml bottle.

So if it's flat. And not holding a head then your short on yeast or it's not had enough carb time (2 weeks at 19oC).

If it's got no fizz and you've added sugar then it's defo a leak/yeast prob.

how long have you left it to carb up in 20-24c temp Robin?

sounds like you used the correct amount of priming sugar.

TW is what I brewed with with my first PM. just hoping I live to tell the tale

how long have you left it to carb up in 20-24c temp Robin?

sounds like you used the correct amount of priming sugar.

TW is what I brewed with with my first PM. just hoping I live to tell the tale
Its been at leat 2 weeks now, and it not exactly been cold. Ill open another tonite and see whats its like.
Never had a carb problem in the past.

theres a thread I just posted recently on about aiding Head, ul see it if u check soonish. it requires a syringe though which ive left a link for.
im not totally sure on if uv left it long enough though, im sure u already know another two weeks at a colder/room temp is required for the finished procuct. but saying that I personally (like u) thought the 2 weeks in the warm was the main purpose for carbing.
I have read some forums (maybe this one) that sometimes another week in a warmer temp will help..

Im thinking Ive under carbed, deliberately probably, because the weather is so hot.
Just opened a new one and stuck it in one of those funny etched glasses and have a lovely head, so its me being paranoid

I now always make a point of rinsing pint glasses with cold water before pouring beer into them just in case there's even a trace of washing up liquid on there that will kill the head in an instead (as well as making your beer taste grimmer than usual)

Back