Water cooled or overnight

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at getting a fridge to make a fermentation chamber and do my first AG brew. If I boil the wort in a large stock pot and put the hot stock pot in the fridge to cool the wort is there any reason that wouldnt work to chill the wort? If that wouldnt work I may look at the no chill cube.

I think you'll kill your fridge doing that

is it easy to transfer the wort into a cube? Im guessing an auto syphon with the tube running nicely along the bottom..

I've got a tap on my kettle with 15mm pipe and a 90 degree elbow on it, I use a largish funnel so it don't splash anywhere.

I only used the auto syphon once when my hop filter became blocked - goodbye auto syphon - the wort was way too hot for it and completely knackered it. :-(

What impact will leaving to cool (either in the day if i can, or overnight if needed) have on the hop flavours? I have some flameout additions but am still pulled towards this method of cooling due to costs.

I think I'll try a no-chill small batch this weekend. Planning to do two 1 gallon small batches and split a packet of US-05 between them...

I'll do the first brew (an Amarillo Pale) the night before, let the whirlpool hops steep for half an hour or so then rack into FV and chill over night. I'll be dry-hopping this later anyway to put the flavour/aroma back in.
I'll then do the second brew (an American Amber) the next morning, chill as normal (ice bath) and then split the US-05 between them.

Does that sound ok? Or should I fully chill the Amarillo before going into the FV? Ideally I'd like to pitch the yeast into both at the same time, but I'm short on time.

I think I'll try a no-chill small batch this weekend. Planning to do two 1 gallon small batches and split a packet of US-05 between them...

I'll do the first brew (an Amarillo Pale) the night before, let the whirlpool hops steep for half an hour or so then rack into FV and chill over night. I'll be dry-hopping this later anyway to put the flavour/aroma back in.
I'll then do the second brew (an American Amber) the next morning, chill as normal (ice bath) and then split the US-05 between them.

Does that sound ok? Or should I fully chill the Amarillo before going into the FV? Ideally I'd like to pitch the yeast into both at the same time, but I'm short on time.

Just rack the amarillo brew into the FV and let it chill overnight. You dont need to fully chill it before putting it in the FV

Just rack the amarillo brew into the FV and let it chill overnight. You dont need to fully chill it before putting it in the FV[/QUOTE
I would agree with Myqul. As an alternative, if you are doing a small 10Litre batch, you can cool this in the sink and use some frozen water bottles or some other form of ice (i.e. ice cubes from your freezer) - works well esp. for small batches. Hope that helps.

I am thinking about not fully chilling my next brew tomorrow. I am thinking of leaving the lid on the kettle for the last 10 minutes, then sealing it with cling film, dunking it in the sink for a bit to get a cold break then leaving overnight.

Some questions though.

1 - normally I cool to below 80 before adding the flameout hops. If I did this without fully chilling, and opened the lid, threw the hops in, and sealed it back up, to leave overnight, would it be safe? Or would I have exposed it too much?

2 - cold break. Would it still coagulate as much, if it isn't cooled as fast?

3 - the following morning, do I just transfer to the FV, stir to add oxygen and pitch as normal?

Thanks

I am thinking about not fully chilling my next brew tomorrow. I am thinking of leaving the lid on the kettle for the last 10 minutes, then sealing it with cling film, dunking it in the sink for a bit to get a cold break then leaving overnight.

Some questions though.

1 - normally I cool to below 80 before adding the flameout hops. If I did this without fully chilling, and opened the lid, threw the hops in, and sealed it back up, to leave overnight, would it be safe? Or would I have exposed it too much?

2 - cold break. Would it still coagulate as much, if it isn't cooled as fast?

3 - the following morning, do I just transfer to the FV, stir to add oxygen and pitch as normal?

Thanks

1. It'll be fine

2. I'm not 100% sure but from everything I've read you need to cool completely and quickly so as not to get chill haze

3. Yes

Just rack the amarillo brew into the FV and let it chill overnight. You dont need to fully chill it before putting it in the FV

This worked great and meant I was easily able to brew my 2 small batches over 2 days and split the yeast between them. Ta MyQul :thumb:

I do much the same as Cwrw666. I transfer the hot wort to the FV (I always sanitise it first which is probably not necessary but I like to be thorough.) Make sure it's sealed and an airlock in place so no nasties can get in.

I am currently doing my second batch after a not so good first attempt. The airlock is running in reverse (i.e drawing air in) as it cools, I take it as this is going through sanitiser as it bubbles, this isn't causing an issue.

Latest posts

Back