Fresh WORT kits available in the UK. AMAZIN!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBag849

Reaction score
Just wanted to put up a post about the amazing fresh WORT kits I found at my local brew supplier. These kits are so much better than the can kits you get, they are straight from a small breweries batch brew and come in 23l tubs ready to be put in your fermenting bin. You choose what ever yeast you wish to pitch and any additional hops you may like to try, you really an play about with these babies and boy are they lively within 12 hours mine were having a volcanic eruption (the wife was less than impressed as I was doing this in the kitchen). 2 weeks to ferment, 3-4 days in secondary with dry hop sock then 2 weeks in the bottle. The end result is a fantastic fresh almost pub pint and so much better quality than the can kits. These are available from The Malt Miller found on line or if you are local yo Swindon area they can be collected.

There not that cheap considering after you add alcohol duty they are a similar price to expensive beer in kegs/casks or bottles but I suppose if there great quality its worth it.

Not sure what you mean about beer duty the kit is £31 plus £2-3 for yeast, brews 40 pints so less than a £1 a pint and to be honest better than some bottles in the supermarket.

Sorry i'm not sure I understand the questions or comments about the duty, was just saying that 2 kits = a cask-ish for £60ish if you had to pay duty its £80ish plus the cost of yeast, steriliser etc it would cost more than a cask of decent beer. Obviously you don't have to pay beer duty, I just mentioned it as the brewer likely makes more money on this than he would on selling the finished beer (though we can save as theres no duty).

if you had to pay duty

But you don't have to, o this point is not valid.

And yes, from a cost point of view it is much to expensive and doesn't make any sense for me. If they would sell it for 15.- I would think about it as a backup solution for busy times.

But I think (without offending anybody) the high price for this is caused by "idiots tax" for people who can't heat up water and pour in a can of malt extract :ugeek:

You could argue that the wort is closer to the original, because it is made in a bigger batch and hopped accordingly (or from the opposite: malt extract lost a bit of taste in production), but if I wanted the to be as close to the original as possible I would buy the original :whistle:

However, the price is not competitive enough for me.

..like Dragon's Den. ..and fer that reason...I'm OOT!
I thought they looked a bit pricey but if you look at the rrp on some kits around the £24 mark then add water plus time they are convenient. All depends what you want. .pays your money and takes your choice. .suppose if loads bought them the price would come down.

Cheers

Clint

Don't get me wrong I am sure they make a decent product like a kit but how is it fresher than a canned kit??

I think like with a kit the freshness could be determined from boiling to packaging to when the consumer pitches the yeast, that could be pretty fresh that could be weeks/ months or in some cases a year or so.

Call me stupid (and many have) - but I thought half the experience was about the journey? I used to do kits when I was at uni and didn't really have the setup for an AG brew, a but a kit still made it feel like you were making something. This looks like making a pot noodle (which I also did a lot of at uni too...)

Call me stupid (and many have) - but I thought half the experience was about the journey? I used to do kits when I was at uni and didn't really have the setup for an AG brew, a but a kit still made it feel like you were making something. This looks like making a pot noodle (which I also did a lot of at uni too...)

I agree, although some people brew to save money (not that this is the cheapest option by far) I think if you go any further you might aswell not bother.. I would almost say its getting close to not even being home brewing (I know the pedants will flame me for this) but you don't even mix this up you just pour it and dump yeast it..

I would say as far as I know the majority of posters here at least brew for the hobby side.

I am quite interested to see how this venture goes - find out if there is a market for this and see how transportation works out.

Someone has obviously put some time and effort into getting this off the ground, so I am interested in what other members have to say.

No interest in it myself, but that does not mean it might not be popular. For instance there is this football game with a round ball...:whistle:

Exactly the sort of information that is interesting. Absolutely.

Not judging the initiative at this point in time, it is an interesting idea, not least because of the logistics and cost to transport.

Just wanted to put up a post about the amazing fresh WORT kits I found at my local brew supplier. These kits are so much better than the can kits you get, they are straight from a small breweries batch brew and come in 23l tubs ready to be put in your fermenting bin. You choose what ever yeast you wish to pitch and any additional hops you may like to try, you really an play about with these babies and boy are they lively within 12 hours mine were having a volcanic eruption (the wife was less than impressed as I was doing this in the kitchen). 2 weeks to ferment, 3-4 days in secondary with dry hop sock then 2 weeks in the bottle. The end result is a fantastic fresh almost pub pint and so much better quality than the can kits. These are available from The Malt Miller found on line or if you are local yo Swindon area they can be collected.
These do make a excellent beer ,would brew these if I was short on time.

Back