Partial Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been doing kits for a while, and am now considering the next steps to get more involved in brewing and using some recipes/concocting my own. I don't have space to go AG yet so was considering partial extract as a step towards that.

Problem is I can't seem to find anything definitive online. I understand the premise of doing a boil but can't seem to find any guides that explain it in 'idiot' :p

Do I only need a 10l or so stock pot that I can heat on the stove? Once the boil is done I then top up with cold water in the FV to 23l or so?

I've experimented with pre-hopped kits by adding malt extract and dry hopping etc, but really keen to take it up a notch.

Cheers.

When you say partial extract, are you looking at using all extract as the base malt and steep any specialty grains or are you going to partial mash and use a percentage of your base malt and do a mini mash and then top up with extract?

Do I only need a 10l or so stock pot that I can heat on the stove? Once the boil is done I then top up with cold water in the FV to 23l or so?

Yes...but it's just called extract brewing, not partial extract. Nice intermediate step between kits and AG, although I'd say the results are closer to AG quality than kit quality. The 2 big advantages are no mash stage (saving time) and no (or very little) cooling stage, as you do a reduced-volume boil and top up with cold water.

BrewUK do recipe packs which are a good place to start, other firms do them too
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/beerkits/craftybrews/brewextract.html

Yes...but it's just called extract brewing, not partial extract. Nice intermediate step between kits and AG, although I'd say the results are closer to AG quality than kit quality. The 2 big advantages are no mash stage (saving time) and no (or very little) cooling stage, as you do a reduced-volume boil and top up with cold water.

BrewUK do recipe packs which are a good place to start, other firms do them too
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/beerkits/craftybrews/brewextract.html

I have been doing extract brews for a while now and they really are a great improvement on kits. Have done some really cracking beers along with some ordinary 'ish ones but all better than a kit and it is easy. Have tinkered with recipes from books and have also conjured up my own using recipe builder on here and i actually think my own recipe's have been better than the book ones:whistle::mrgreen:
No special gear needed, enjoy:thumb:

That is strong...and the amount of hops is incredible

Mine stuck at 1020 which made it slightly sweeter and a couple of per cent weaker, both of which worked incredibly well. The hop aroma and flavour was the best I've ever tasted in homebrew, but the bitterness could have been better. It was still head and shoulders above most commercial beers though.

Back