All Grain Brewing System reviews.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit, given that I'll probably look to move to an all-in-one system at some point, the constant references to 'This didn't work', 'Unit was defective', 'Had to send it back' does not fill me with confidence. Who the hell is engineering these things?

A one year warranty is fine, but what happens after that? I'm getting the strong impression that these things are full of issues that could double the cost of the unit over time.

I starting to wonder if I'm better off going to a cash and carry and buying £400/500 worth of beer!

Or you could build your own all in one system for the same money and know that all of the parts are easily replaceable.

I love the smell of mashing in the morning.

I must admit, given that I'll probably look to move to an all-in-one system at some point, the constant references to 'This didn't work', 'Unit was defective', 'Had to send it back' does not fill me with confidence. Who the hell is engineering these things?

A one year warranty is fine, but what happens after that? I'm getting the strong impression that these things are full of issues that could double the cost of the unit over time.

!

I cannot remember anyone having problems with the GF or BM i guess you get what you pay for fits here.

I cannot remember anyone having problems with the GF or BM i guess you get what you pay for fits here.

BM and GF are now mature products and few have any complaints about them, but while my brewing career isn't old enough to know about the earlier BMs, when the GF came out it was seen as the cheap-skate BM. The first GFs did have some teething problems just as the BB and ACE have. Both the BB and ACE manufacturers seem to be taking the problems seriously and doing the same sorts of tweaks are improvements that the GF manufacturers did.

The only problem i can remember with the early GF's was the pump blocking and IIRC members seem to have get round that easily, i am sure in time the manufacturers will iron out the teething problems with the newer systems.

I starting to wonder if I'm better off going to a cash and carry and buying �£400/500 worth of beer!

My GF has worked fine, but I did have a number of issues at first. Mainly due to me not understanding properly the brewing process nor the machine's capabilities and shortcomings. A bit of practice sorts out both of these.

As for buying beer instead, there is no way that £500 will buy you better beer than you can make in around five, and certainly under ten brews (I think of them as "brewdays") with a brewing set-up, however sourced.

Regarding which one to go for, there are lots of videos on U-tube of blokes making a beer using the BM, the GF, and all the others. All seem to be keen on the one they have themselves and you might reach some conclusions from watching them.

I don't yet have a grainfather as I'm still saving. But the complete lack of second hand ones for sale must tell a story about how good they are

Well that is a point and it had not occurred to me. Nice observation, Chris.

Once you have had a few plays with it, it is very easy to use and although it may take 6 hours from set up to putting away, there are some quiet periods during which it is possible to rack and bottle other brews and do stuff like ironing and food preparation etc.

...ironing? Another subject for the banned topic list for sure!
Back on subject......regarding sparge/boil and total liquor volumes in all in one systems. If I take the Greg Hughes book and pick a recipe it might say 13 litres of mash water for the grain bill,however if I use the online gf calculator for the same recipe (or any others)the mash volume is consistently approx 3 litres more,this in turn drops the sparge amount but the total liquor amount works out the same virtually either way..approx 32 litres.
Does the mash volume matter so much? Is it the equipment altering the suggested volumes? Any pointers?

Cheers

Clint

...ironing? Another subject for the banned topic list for sure!
Back on subject......regarding sparge/boil and total liquor volumes in all in one systems. If I take the Greg Hughes book and pick a recipe it might say 13 litres of mash water for the grain bill,however if I use the online gf calculator for the same recipe (or any others)the mash volume is consistently approx 3 litres more,this in turn drops the sparge amount but the total liquor amount works out the same virtually either way..approx 32 litres.
Does the mash volume matter so much? Is it the equipment altering the suggested volumes? Any pointers?

Cheers

Clint

I can't speak for the GF, but for the BB the mash volumes do matter. Thin is good, as it helps the recirculation, but if the volume of the grain and strike water is too high then the wort level is above the overflow pipe. Typically, I'd take the weight of grain in kg, multiply by 3 or 3.5, and use that, provided that it wont go over the overflow pipe (calculated using the "can I mash it" tool on this website).

My GF has worked fine, but I did have a number of issues at first. Mainly due to me not understanding properly the brewing process nor the machine's capabilities and shortcomings. A bit of practice sorts out both of these.

As for buying beer instead, there is no way that ���£500 will buy you better beer than you can make in around five, and certainly under ten brews (I think of them as "brewdays") with a brewing set-up, however sourced.

Regarding which one to go for, there are lots of videos on U-tube of blokes making a beer using the BM, the GF, and all the others. All seem to be keen on the one they have themselves and you might reach some conclusions from watching them.

It took me five brews in the Grainfather to get to producing better beer than I can buy in the supermarket.
I had only done kits before that and I only did about five of them.

The best tips for brewing with the Grainfather, I found on this forum.

Try to get the courser grains into the mash tube first, dust on top.
Dough in well, creating quite a wet mash.
Leave a small gap between the top plate and grain.
Start the pump with just a trickle to start and very slowly over five to ten minutes increase the flow, so either nothing or a very small amount goes down the overflow. This will stop it compacting.
Remove the top plate and give it a stir half way into mashing period.
Increase flow slowly again.
Push top plate to touching grain to sparge.

I had a very smooth brew day using these tips yesterday.

One thing which I have learnt to be very important in getting good beer, is to learn about your brewing water and how to adjust it to suit the beer.

I never knew when I started all grain brewing, how much there is to learn.
Bit like gardening, you could be learning for a lifetime.

Got a grainfather on the way, I'll post my review when I brew with it. Got a good discount so wasn't worth waiting any longer to splash out

I got a discount code on beerhawk, unfortunately I'm not allowed to share but got the grainfather for £540 and then a second order using their "beer tokens" I got a grainfather stainless paddle and 3 tubs of grainfather cleaner for £23

I got a discount code on beerhawk, unfortunately I'm not allowed to share but got the grainfather for �£540 and then a second order using their "beer tokens" I got a grainfather stainless paddle and 3 tubs of grainfather cleaner for �£23

Good price! So how do you get a discount code from BeerHawak then?

Hey guys!

Do you know where is it possible to buy some sort of Ace-type brewery now?
Like I can see in every shop they are 'sold out' now and aprox. arriving time ~middle of February... But it's really a lot for me.

Back