Worried about Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Provided the kit is well within date there's usually nowt wrong with most kit yeasts imo (or certainly the ones I have done) and so I never replace them, can't see the point. The exception seems to be Muntons Wherry and Sundew which do require substitution

The issue is the quantity of yeast, not the quality. Wherry and Sundew both come with small packets of yeast, 7g vs 11g which is the standard yeast packet size. The yeast itself is actually rather good if used to make up a smaller brew 10-11L. I've just done single-can brews of both to 10L and the yeast has fermented them out fine. It's just a bit risky to use that small a packet for 23L. Muntons must know the issue because with kits they've produced later, such as Cwtch, they include 2 x 7g packets.

I'm also a fan of Wilko yeast, it's my go-to yeast, meant to be re-packed Nottingham and is particularly good for English ales, stick well to the bottom of bottles

The issue is the quantity of yeast, not the quality. Wherry and Sundew both come with small packets of yeast, 7g vs 11g which is the standard yeast packet size. The yeast itself is actually rather good if used to make up a smaller brew 10-11L. I've just done single-can brews of both to 10L and the yeast has fermented them out fine.
I've also made up smaller brews with unused Wherry yeast as well and they were fine. I fully agree it's the quantity not the quality, and I am not even sure its a 7g pack it might even be 6g.
As discussed on here before, it's a real shame that Muntons don't ackowledge the problems it creates and just increase the kit yeast quantity for the Wherry and others similar. The cost to them is pence since they are a yeast supplier, whereas the kit itself sells as a premium kit in some places for over �£20, and so the hit on their profit margin would hardly be noticeable.

As discussed on here before, it's a real shame that Muntons don't ackowledge the problems it creates and just increase the kit yeast quantity for the Wherry and others similar. The cost to them is pence since they are a yeast supplier, whereas the kit itself sells as a premium kit in some places for over ���£20, and so the hit on their profit margin would hardly be noticeable.

Yeah, I've just made up Old Conkerwood, and being marketed as "Premium Gold" I'd hoped it would come with a decent sized yeast packet but nope, just that little 6/7g packet. So I just made up the 1 can with that packet, I'll do the other one later with another yeast. I weighed it and it was 7g, although that includes the packaging.

Ok. So i have taken the 2nd of 3 gravity readings and it is down to 1.019 which is about as far as I think it is going to get. Hoping actually that it doesn't go any lower as it's now 5.25% which is about what I am after. With priming I reckon it will get to be about 6% which is great for an Xmas ale.

2 weeks now clearing in the 2nd Vessel even though it is pretty clear already and the sample is frankly the best beer I have ever brewed. Does anyone go through clearing or just go straight to bottles?

Then it's in to mature until the beginning of Dec and time to show off my fine wares.

Latest posts

Back